Ok, it Finally Happened to Me. Now What?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Raeven, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Raeven

Raeven Reluctant Adult Supporter

I recently slaughtered my breeding boar. He was about 5 years old. I knew boar taint might be an issue -- and boy, howdy, is it ever.

Put it this way: I don't want to cook this meat in any of my pots and pans and even with a vent hood that could suck a gopher out of its hole, not in the house. Just handling the raw meat leaves a stank on my hands.

I managed to cook a couple pounds of bacon by running the vent hood full... ummm.... boar... to give to my outdoor dog. Even he gave me a long look as if to say, "Really?" He did still eat it.

This malodorous meat is occupying a rather large part of one of my freezers. Other than just throwing it away, is there something else I can do with it? I really, really, REALLY don't want to have to cook it.

I'd give it away, but only to someone I hate.

gibbsgirl likes this.
  2. meatsmith

meatsmith New Member

Milk marinade.

Raeven likes this.

3. Raeven

You joined just to tell me that? Thank you. :) I will certainly give it a try!

I doubt that will help for the hams, however... for those, I'm thinking I'll cook them outdoors on an old Weber barbecue grill I'm now glad I've kept kicking around. I don't want to cook the meat on my newer grill, even.

Thank you again.

4. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

No matter what breed a 5 year of boar stands a good chance of having taint. The older they are the more taint they have.

I had one that was 2.5 years old had taint. My dogs love it raw. It was a Berk/Duroc .
    I had the ham made into sausage and seasoned. Didn't help couldn't eat the sausage either.

Raeven likes this.
  5. Raeven

Thanks gerold, I did know that going in. He needed killin', though. :)

I'm very glad to learn your dogs love it raw! That's definitely my first plan of attack. Cats will be eating well for the foreseeable future, too. ;)

gerold and gibbsgirl like this.
  6. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

Cheaper then dog or cat food. :)

Raeven likes this.
  7. Kmac15

Kmac15 This is my life

see if you can find friend that can't taste it and gift them with it.

Declan likes this.
  8. Raeven

Isn't that the truth. :shocked:

Hey, I may keep a boar or two around just for pet food. :happy2: Disposable gloves are cheap!

9. Raeven

Kmac15... I appreciate the suggestion, but I think the only way someone wouldn't taste/smell this would be if they were pushing up daisies. It's not a LITTLE bad. It's REALLY bad. Having some concern about it, I put one piece of bacon in the microwave for a test drive, sniffing the exhaust. It took literally all of 30 seconds' cooking time for me to haul that one little piece of bacon out of the house tout suite. The sponge I used to clean the pan after I'd cooked the rest of the package for the dog still stinks. And that's after I Cometed out the stainless steel pan. Something I've never done on my cookware before. Ever.

10. meatsmith

meatsmith New Member

Enzymes in the milk break down flavors that most can't tolerate. Works with wild game to remove flavor.

Raeven and gibbsgirl like this.
  11. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

This is why I take a small bite and taste test some boars before slaughter, or before using them as breeding stock. A biopsy is easy to do and the boar hardly notices. Here's how:

http://SugarMtnFarm.com/taint

1) Not everyone can taste boar taint. About 25% of the population can't. So there may well be someone you know who would love the meat.

2) Your dog is not a good case in point as they have very sensitive noses but will eat nearly anybody.

3) The taint is in the fat. If you use the lean, let it hang to air and then mix it with the fat of steer, sows or barrows it can be used to make spicy sausages that you may find delicious. This is the old traditional use of boar tainted meat.

The good news is taint is not that common. The bad news is you have it in your genetics. You can feed against it (high fiber diet), manage against it (extensive pasture rotational grazing rather than intensive confinement penning) but you should also breed against it. I would cull the offspring from this boar unless you want to go through the long process of selective breeding. With him you're starting in the hole.

-Walter

Narshalla, Raeven, Gravytrain and 3 others like this.
  12. hippygirl

hippygirl Well-Known Member

I know it works on REAL "fishy" fish (I do love fish, but sometimes the smell is VERY strong and is just too much for me)...put it in milk the evening before, rinse well and cook the next evening.

highlands, Raeven and gibbsgirl like this.
  13. Raeven

Walter, I always appreciate your input. :)

My 'breeding program' has basically consisted of producing pork for friends and family. I have always slaughtered this boar's uncut progeny at no later than 14 months and had no problems with taint. However, I had my suspicions he would be different... I could smell it on him even before the slaughter. The nose knows.

None of his issue will survive off this farm.

hippygirl, it's an excellent suggestion and I will try meatsmith's milk trick, for sure. But no matter what, I'll be cooking that meat on an outdoor grill! Thanks for your reassurance that it works well on very strong odors. It's going to have to. :p

highlands and Sumatra like this.
  14. RonTgottagoat

RonTgottagoat Well-Known Member

If it smells that bad that your gonna cook it outside do you think you can even choke down a plate of the old boy ? I don't like to waste meat especially something I
    Raised and slaughtered but if it really smells that bad can you eat it? Call a zoo maybe they could feed it to some of their big cats or something

highlands and Raeven like this.
  15. CypressHollow

CypressHollow Member

I soak my wild game in buttermilk. It might work on your boar meat.

highlands, Raeven and gibbsgirl like this.
  16. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I've never had to do it but have also heard that soaking in milk or buttermilk will obviate flavour/smell.

I wish I lived closer (anybody got a plane ticket:)) because I've never come across boar taint, it's not something that seems to be a problem here.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

highlands and Raeven like this.
  17. Raeven

LOL, no, I don't think I can choke it down. Even thinking about trying to eat it makes me shudder, and not in a good way! I thought I'd cook it for my animals, but too bad for them. It's raw or nada.

Your suggestion about a zoo is an excellent one. We have several local or near-local wildlife sanctuaries that might do well with the meat. Like you, I hate to waste it -- but I wouldn't consider the donation to wildlife preservation a waste. Thanks for that suggestion! If my animals aren't eating it fast enough, I'll check out the options.

Lady89 likes this.
  18. Raeven

I will try both milk and buttermilk on the lean cuts. If it works, I'll be astonished -- and very grateful! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

gibbsgirl and Lady89 like this.
  19. Raeven

Ronnie, I'm a little surprised you can't smell it, even from where you are. ;)

I'd never experienced it up close and personal until this episode, either. Not an experience I wish to repeat. Ever. Never, ever.

My late husband was a Kiwi... North Island, or South, if you don't mind my asking? Yours is a wondrous country! And even more fortunate for not having boar taint!!

20. njenner

njenner Well-Known Member Supporter

This is very interesting - please let us know about how the milk/buttermilk works.

Raeven likes this.