Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m very, very upset with myself.

I’ve been growing Henderson lima beans for the first time and was waiting for them to get bigger before I picked them. I wasn’t sure exactly how long it would take until harvest so I looked it up. I got conflicting answers (on the internet, not here… my 1st big mistake as should have asked here!) and one said something about not waiting until the pods harden.

Well, I picked a couple and the beans looked nice, a good size and tender. So, I picked most of them and guess what…

I didn’t wait long enough!

I could just hit myself in the head with a brick! I went against my gut instinct (which I KNOW never to do) and now, I will have very little fresh butter beans to enjoy.

Anyone else ever make stupid mistakes?

I am actually really upset with myself. What a terrible loss all because I got impatient!

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
where do you live?? is there any way you could replant?
And,,,I don't think there is any such thing as "stupid mistakes" in gardening,just lessons.....some of us learn our lessons the hard way!!! been there......
sorry you don't have beans.
Christine

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in zone 7, in the upper part of Georgia.

I'm considering re-planting. I just can't decide if I should just try it or chalk this year up as a "learning experience" and move on and plant peas instead or something.

You're right though Ozark, was a lesson. I bet I don't make THAT mistake again! lol

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
you have baby limas. i think butter beans are those that are left on too long, lol...i think.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Back in the 1960s I was given some baby limas in the pod. I declined the offer as I didn't have time to shell them. I was told don't bother, eat pod and all like a green bean. They were fantastic. Think snow peas where pod and all are eaten and give it a try. Unless pods and flavors have changed you will have a treat.

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
MountAiry said:
Okl another goof. i dumped them all in the compost pile yesterday! lol
You did the right thing if they were just the pods and no beans! I'd tried to eat lima bean pods in the past and one only does that once. But with several reports of people eating them, I had to try several of my pole limas the other day. Each were tough as cardboard and really bitter. But since this thread is about bush limas, tried a Pennsylvania Dutch Red today and no improvement. Finally went to a friend's garden and asked her if I could try eating one of her Fordhook pods. "Are you nuts? Nobody eats those!" And she still hasn't seen anyone eat one! Chew, yes, but not swallow!

Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.