Ok, I have ruled out pregnancy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ajharris, Sep 28, 2006.

1. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Since I last spoke of Milky the saanen, I did the pooch test. She aint. But since she has produced milk for my little wether can I start milking her to bring the milk in? I really don't want to breed her to a boar buck, but I would like to milk her. What do yall think?

And another question, Can you give a preggo goat pennicillian?

2. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

I was afraid she wasn't going to kid when I saw the pictures. One thing I look at is under their tail. If it is a purse sting they are not bred. If it is a little puffy and pink they could be going into heat but if it is very very relaxed and slightly swollen they are usually bred. Very relaxed and pink and very swollen usually indicates impending kidding
    I thought your Boers looked very very nice. Is there no one with a dairy buck in your area? I know you want a purebred Saanen but the crossbreds or experimentals can be really nice milk goats too.
    You would get much better milk production if she kids but you can milk her now if she is producing milk. Now is the time to get her bred too as Swiss breeds usually are seasonal breeders and now is the season to do it. The only goats I got to breed in late spring and summer were my Nubians and the Boers and both are African breeds. Not to say there isn't exceptions to that rule.
    She is a lovely doe and I wish you all the best with her.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I milked my Saanen when she came into milk without being bred...and since then I dried her up, bred her, and now she is milking the most she ever has....so it didnt harm her in any way.

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

If noone seems to remember the last time she freshened, it is probably time to breed her again. Goats that go dry for several years tend to become infertile.