OK I give which herb eliminates..?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

eliminate foot odor in shoes. My DD shoes will drop a Rhino. Tried Doctor Scholls and the charcoal inserts, not working. :(

I remember a while back there was a thread about useful herbs and I think this was covered but my mind is blank. :help:

Kenneth

2. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Smelly shoes come from smelly feet. Try to go barefoot as much as possible to allow the feet to 'breathe', and put the shoes outside in the sun as often as possible. The sun will dry out the perspiration and help to kill the fungal spores of tinea and other germs which cause the smell. Try some of the following remedies.

SMELLY FEET:
    Bathe the feet in warm water to which has been added a few drops of ammonia.
    OR
    Wash feet in a bowl of water with a few drops of tea tree oil, then rub in a solution of 10 drops tea tree oil and 30ml soya oil. This solution will keep for about two months in an airtight, dark-coloured glass container.
    OR
    Boil blackberry leaves in water for 10 minutes, cool, and soak the feet in the water for 10 minutes.
    OR
    Dust the following mixture onto smelly feet as required: 1 cup talcum powder, ½ cup cornflour, 1 teaspoon peppermint oil and 1 teaspoon vinegar.
    OR
    Heat 2 cups water with ½ cup cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons thyme. Add 4 tablespoons each of mint, chamomile and lavender if desired. Simmer for 5 minutes, allow to cool until you can bear the heat and soak until the water is cool. Dry feet well.
    OR
    Heat 2 cups water with 1/2 cup cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons thyme (plus 4 tablespoons mint, chamomile and lavender if desired). Simmer 5 minutes. Cool until just bearable, then soak the feet until the mixture is cool. Dry feet well afterwards.
    OR
    Bathe them in a bowl of hot water with a few drops of lemongrass oil. Pat dry, then rub in a mixture of 3 drops of lemongrass oil to 1 teaspoon soya oil.
    OR
    Wash and dry the feet and wipe them over with a pad of cotton wool soaked in methylated spirit.

TEA FOOTBATH FOR SMELLY FEET:
    Steep 4-6 teabags in boiling water for 15-20 minutes. Add enough cold water to cover the feet and soak for 30 minutes. Wash feet well after use to avoid staining. Repeat several times a day for a week or two.

For the shoes:
    Sprinkle some bicarbonate of soda inside the shoes and leave overnight. It won't matter if you leave it in there all the time because it will help to dry out your feet (perspiration can cause the whiff). You can add in a drop or two of your favourite essential oil if you like - peppermint is good for the feet, and tea-tree oil will reduce the chances of getting tinea (a fungus).

Store camphor with shoes to keep them fresh-smelling.
    OR
    Store shoes in plastic bags with Epsom salts. They will not be susceptible to mould or mildew. Also suitable for clothing.

SPORTS SHOES:
    Put shoes in the freezer overnight to kill bacteria that cause smells.

Don't forget that smelly feet and smelly shoes will also make for smelly socks! Launder them as usual, but put some essential oil of tea-tree or peppermint in the final rinse to kill germs and fungi and make them smell better.

3. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

I find that washing my feet with water and a bit of vinegar stops it.

4. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Stuff as many Fresh, JUICY Cayenne peppers as possible into the toes of your shoes. If you don't have cayenne, try Fresh, juicy, jalapeno peppers. Peppers will definitely solve the problem!! :clap:

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

sprinkle powdered alum in your shoes.

works.

6. palani

palani Well-Known Member

Soak feet in Johnsons Foot Soap for 10-15 minutes, grab a reasonably dull knife and scrape the soles to get rid of old skin and dirt.

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Herb? Try dusting your daughter's shoes with garlic powder.....that oughta do it.

8. orangehen

orangehen Well-Known Member

Once my ds had that problem when he was younger.....it was from an allergic reaction to the dye in his socks. We switched to all white socks, and odor was greatly reduced.

9. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

Besides many of the above (we especially found Tea Tree helpful) we have found that my daughter should not wear shoes that do not breathe well, so we avoid the plastic ones, and look for leather that have holes (usually decorative) in them as they let her feet breathe a little more. When an infant, her feet would often smell worse than a dirty diaper after wearing them for only a few hours while out as we don't wear shoes in our house often. She wears mostly sandals now (age 8) so that helps a lot.
    Dawn

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I dumped baking soda in loafers once....fizzed up like a volcano and spewed out each threadhole! It was entertaining to watch, however.

11. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Borax takes the stink out of any number of things, although not a herb, it might work sprinkled in the shoes.

Maybe mixed with some baking soda... ?

I've also heard of using crunched up newspapers to take the smell out of camping coolers ... wonder if that'd work in a shoe?

12. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

I was just kidding earlier about the peppers :eek:

But here are some herbs that definitely help:

1. Soap

2. Water

3. Daily

Use these 3 herbs in combination and your problem will go away.

Also, make sure your sneakers haven't been water-soaked, and buy new shoes periodically.

13. Maria

Maria Well-Known Member