OK - How the heck did I miss this???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Jul 18, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Champagne grapes! How did I miss this??? Why didn't I see them before???

These are the cutest things I have ever seen...super duper tiny and I MUST HAVE THEM!!!

Anyone know of a source for these? I have never seen them in the store and want them REALLY BAD!!!

2. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

All I can tell you about them is that they are absolutely delicious! One of the local grocery stores (Krogers) carries them once a year. They are high-priced but worth it. They are the sweetest and juiciest grapes I've ever seen. I'm always scouting out produce sections of stores in hopes of finding them. I'd like to find a source for the plants, too!

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

We went to the Mission Inn in Riverside for my sister's 40th and my daughter's 16th brithdays. In the fruit bowl they had them. They were the size of BB's. I was so enamoured with them!

When I got home, went to the store to pick up a foot long for dinner and there they were, $1.99 a pack,so I got 2. I'm hopelessly hoping there are a few with seeds, until I can find a source for some vines.

The ones I had in Riverside were so sweet. This batch I bought, the grapes are 2x the size,still itty, but more tart.

4. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I found this reference on a produce site:

"Champagne Grapes

These tiny grapes are actually a Zante Currant (also known as Black Corinth) variety that is seedless."

Finding that information didn't help me locate any plants for sale, though.
    Please do post your source if you do find them....

5. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Yum! You might run into difficulties with members of the currant family as some of them carry disease and it's illegal to plant them. check with your County Extension Service and see what they have to say. I understand that wonderful raisins are made from these Black Corinth grapes. I don't know if the term Currant would genetically apply to them.???? And they are from Greece?

Here's some info on them. Makes me hungry! LOL

http://www.specialtyproduce.com/spNetwork.ASP?Item=225&WCI=Frameset&WCE=Main

LQ