Ok how do you do it

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kimon, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Kimon

Kimon Not a Cannibal

Fight the biting bugs in your area. I have done a few searches here and found lotsa remidies for stopping the bites and after bite care but its a good topic and thought I would bring it back up after being totally infested over the last week with biiting no see ems. I Look like I have the chicken pox!!! the things are eatin me alive. I have used deet (hate it) skin so soft - doesn't seem to work. Help!!!

Also might throw in a few after bite remidies so I can stop bleeding from scratching.

2. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

No Seeums in Fla are the worst. My remedy is long sleeves and pants and when they start biting retreat inside. My grandparents kept a tea tin with raw sulphur, a pinch a day kept the insects at bay, you stink pretty good with it. I think the natural sulphur water in Florida wells also helped. The Seminoles used to use bear grease.

3. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I'm assuming we are talking about chiggers/red bugs? I've had folks tell me to add a cup of bleach to your bath water to help kill em and stop the itching. I never could do it because I am allergic to bleach. The chiggers and seed ticks were sooooo bad at my last place that I moved! Had a surveyor tell me to wear long pants with boots. Tuck the pants legs in the boots then wear a flea collar around the boots. Don't know if that would have helped much since the blasted things hang out on the tops of tall weeds. Keep your yard mowed short. You also might want to try an application of sulfer to your yard......yet another thing that I'm severely allergic to so I can't tell you for sure if it works. Be sure and wash your bites several times a day with antibacterial soap or in some other way keep them good and clean. You can get a really bad (as in you have to go to the doc or end up in the hospital) infection from chigger bites. That had a lot to do with me moving.....being a diabetic and having a bad infection of your leg is a baaaaad thing.

4. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

Guinea Hens, they are loud but like a vaccum cleaner scouring the yard for bugs. :dance:

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Guinnea hens are amazing exterminators! Drop of ammonia for afterbite relief...

6. Guinea mama

Guinea mama Well-Known Member

I too vote for the guineas. It is amazing what a difference they have made on the bug population in my yard. And they are only loud the first year, especially those yapping teenage girls :rolleyes: or when there is something strange in the yard.

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I use the hunter's bug repellant for clothing first. It has Permethrin in it. Spray it on socks and jeans the night before....let it dry. Then, in the morning when I head out the door, spray with OFF. I have to use the tropical scent. The green can regular scent makes me sick to my stomach.

If I very very carefully do this EVERY day, I keep the bites down to one or two a week.

The main problem is how LONG chigger bites take to stop itching and heal up. We're talking WEEKS.

8. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

9. drgnldy71

drgnldy71 Serene Dragon Farm

Our solution for chigger bites was clear nail polish. BEFORE you start scratching, otherwise its burns like heck. After you scracth? rubbing alcohol always seemed to work for my brother.

10. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

Good idea on the Guinnea hens but my S.O. hates them. She had some bad expierances with a neighbor that she used to call "Farmer Jerk". A city guy that moved out and deceided he was an instant farmer and he had 4 or 5 of them that he never kept on his own property. They (the birds, not Farmer Jerk LOL) would come over and sratch up all sorts of items in her lawn, tear up her screens on her sliding porch doors, etc. I was ready to shoot them for her (a couple of them would have made a good Thanksgiving Dinner) but it looks like some foxes got them first. Wanted to reward the foxes for their great job :) Sooo I don't think she would want any Guinneas but I do think I remembered reading on here that chickens will do the same. I was raised on a chicken farm as a kid and S.O. would like chickens. Any ideas how well the chickens work vs Guinnea hens?

11. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

If you can't stand the guineas (and who can) our chickens also do an awfully nice job of cleaning out the bugs, weed seeds, tomatoes in our gardens! so short of snow try the chickens.