Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 19hp Kaw. on a scag mower and I can't seem to figure it out.
It had 160 hours on it when it started dyeing on me.It acted a lot like a vapor lock or an overheated coil.Within the first few times I narrowed it down to fuel.It has the vacuum pump on it so I switched that pump out for one on another piece of equipment and "no change"When it dies you can see the gas is not getting into the in line filter.Sometimes you can choke it and it'll take right of and other times you can't. Sometimes the fuel filter will fill with gas in 30 seconds and some times it won't.I have checked the fuel lines and they are not very warm to the touch when it dies sa I'm thinking it can't be a vapor lock.
Yesterday I pulled the gas tank because the gauge wasn't working and found the parts for the gauge except the styrofoam float it's self.I had seen it floating around in the tank but could not retrieve it but even with the tank off we couldn't find it. I even took air and tried to get it to move around in the tank so we could find it but that didn't work.
Anyway,I put the thing back together and it's still the same.It now has 170 hours on it so that 10 hours is a long time to have this problem.Sometimes it'll run for an hour before it dies and sometimes only 3 minutes.
Help me out here guys,'cause it's smarter than I am!

Thanks,

Wade

·
Registered
659 Posts
Check that the vent is not plugged on the fuel cap.... Did you force air backwards on the the fuel outlet port to make sure the float is not caught there?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check that the vent is not plugged on the fuel cap.... Did you force air backwards on the the fuel outlet port to make sure the float is not caught there?

Yep! Checked the vent in the cap and it's open. After it died once I ran it with the cap just laying on it and that didn't help!
We took the fuel gauge and the fuel pickup lin,filter and shut off valve off the tank before removing it and all is good that we can tell. I thought the styrofoam float was blocking off the pickup tube but that doesn't seem to be the case since we can't even find it in the tank now.

Wade

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I had a 23 hp Kaw that acted like it was choking down. Drove me nuts. Finally pulled the air filter, which looked normal until I found the "micro" filter inside the big one. Replaced it and never had another problem. Could this be your problem?

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you pull the fuel line off the carb does fuel flow through that as it should? Use a piece of hose with no filter and go from the tank to the carb and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OT- that's a new one I haven't thought aboout. I'll be looking into that shortly! Thanks!

K9- this tank is molded into a very thin (spacewise) are at one end. (It has to look aerodynamic to sell it you know) and I'm sure that float has to be stuck up in that thin space somewhere. If it is then it is not the problem.The only way it could be the problem would be if it were floating around and getting "sucked" into the pickup tube enough to shut off the gas flow!

Wade

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a 23 hp Kaw that acted like it was choking down. Drove me nuts. Finally pulled the air filter, which looked normal until I found the "micro" filter inside the big one. Replaced it and never had another problem. Could this be your problem?

On second thought ,I don't think that could be the problem. The air filter would have no bearing on the in line fuel filter that I can see through and has no gas in it.It has to be something from the fuel filter back(or the pump just decides to take a break)!

Wade

·
Registered
659 Posts
you would think with a plugged air filter you would see black smoke from the exhaust as an over rich condition.... do the plugs look like the thing is running rich or lean???

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you would think with a plugged air filter you would see black smoke from the exhaust as an over rich condition.... do the plugs look like the thing is running rich or lean???

Not at all. It's perfect in every way until it stops getting fuel! I'm sure puzzled by it!Changed to oil and filter,checked everything I can think of.I'm starting to think maybe the other fuel pump was not good. Maybe I need to try another one,and elect. like I was told to eliminate everything I can.

Wade

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Remove in-line filter. Blow compressed air into the fuel line that goes back to the gas tank. Look for new crud at the bottom of the tank. I bought a replacement fuel line valve that fits in a tank. It has its own nice little screen on it that I wouldn't know was there except I installed it.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
OT- that's a new one I haven't thought aboout. I'll be looking into that shortly! Thanks!

K9- this tank is molded into a very thin (spacewise) are at one end. (It has to look aerodynamic to sell it you know) and I'm sure that float has to be stuck up in that thin space somewhere. If it is then it is not the problem.The only way it could be the problem would be if it were floating around and getting "sucked" into the pickup tube enough to shut off the gas flow!

Wade

My new Yanmar tractor had the same problem. Run a while....maybe weeks, then die....or run 10 minutes, then die.

Turned out, it was plastic spiral drill shavings from where they drilled for the tank outlet fitting, along with a beetle looking bug, all balled together, would float around in the tank until they landed right over the fuel outlet, shutting off flow.

Take your tank back off. Find that float, and make SURE nothing else is in the tank.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I would check for collapsing hose after I fill the tank with some type of liquid and got that float out.

:D Al

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought we were done but I guess we're still fix'n!I cut a piece of garden hose and slipped it over the gas line to make sure it was not vapor locking. It was such a perfect fit that it would also eliminate a line collapse.I went out and mowed for 1 1/2 hours and all is well. Yesterday I got it out to finnish up and got about 30 minutes out of it and "same problem"!
Today I go get a new fuel line and filter and see how we do with that.I guess if that don't fix it I'm after a new pump. I don't know what else it could be.

Wade

·
Registered
529 Posts
There is a secondary screen just inside the intake fuel nozzle on the carburetor. You can go to Kawasaki's web site and see the breakdown. If the float dissolved in varnish or ethanol fuel this may be plugged.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If everything above the carb is ok, then i would suspect something is causing the float in the carb to hang up at times preventing fuel from flowing into the carb.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If everything above the carb is ok, then i would suspect something is causing the float in the carb to hang up at times preventing fuel from flowing into the carb.

Well here's the thing.The in line filter is a see through and it is maybe 8 inches in front of the pump.When it acts up there is no fuel in the filter.Doesn't that indicate a problem in front of that filter? The filter is lower than the pump so it can not gravity feed through the pump if the pump quits pumping.Or can it some how be pulled through the pump by enough vacuum to empty the filter but not enough to pull from the tank?
I've been on this too long! I'm where I can't see the logic in what is going on with it!

Wade

1 - 20 of 37 Posts