OK, gurus, what's going on with this goat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Laura Workman, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

She has rubbed all the hair off a ring about 3/16 of an inch wide all around both eyes. I quarantined her about a week and a half ago when I first noticed it. So far, no one else shows any similar symptoms. At first, her eyelids were swollen, not horribly, but noticeably, and a bit crusty. Now, they're not crusty, just bare. Tonight was the first time I saw her rubbing her eye. Her eyes don't have any discharge, and they're not bloodshot. She is active and alert as normal, but quite lonely. Any ideas? Diagnosis and/or treatment?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Not a guru here and I'm honestly just guessing lice or mange. Pretty difficult spot to use DE or insecticide around so I'd start with olive oil, or mineral oil dabbed by a cotton swab around her eyes (for lice). If that gives her relief it is probably lice. Lightly dust the rest of her boday with DE as well as their sleeping areas. Sarcoptic mange is also a possibility. If she is a doeling it could also be demodectic mange. I'd think a shot of ivomec or drenching might help with mange but not sure. I hope you are able to pinpoint the culprit and treat quickly.

3. hoggfan

hoggfan Active Member

4. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

perhaps ringworm?....or a eye infection of the inner lids?...take a good look at her eyes shave a lil hair if need to...I have seen next doors goat with ring worm around 1 eye[he didnt tend to it] then around both eyes and the around the tail...was strange how it spread like that but it did....if ring worm try fungisan liquid..clean area real good then apply..can also use 1 part bleach to 10 parts water for other areas but I wouldnt use this around eyes!...dale anne

5. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

another thought...

could be conjuctivitus. In that case, terramycin eye ointment.
    It wouldn't hurt to put that in the eye as if it isn't any type of eye infection, it just won't work. But that could relieve some itchyness in the eye.

If her eyes have an infection, that would be why she rubbed her eyes and the hair came off.

6. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Call the vet and get their opinion..with the eys I don't usually play around. Good Luck !!

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

no one mentioned copper deficency .......
    since she seems to not have redness or puffiness, she could be copper deficent.

the fact is, there lots of things it "could" be, i find it so hard to figure out from just a few words, everyone elses ideas might be right too,
    but , are you feeding a good mineral with copper in it ?

cows with copper def. actually lose color in the hair around thier eyes, then it falls out ,

my guess though is if shes not itching it anymore it was pink eye, it has cleared up , and she itched the fur out of the area when it was infected .
    that stuff itches so bad ......
    now if shesn ot itching , the hair should grow back , but it will take a while

check all things out .

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

That was my thought also, especially with where you live. Copper. It would be pretty tough to rub only the hair off around your eyes in complete circles. saanendoah.com has all the info, and lives in the pacific northwest also. Vicki