Ok Florida....Are You'll gonna be cleaned UP by Christmas??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Oct 21, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............WAs watching the evening news here in Texas and they showed pic's of all the Damage in your state that ....WASN'T YET cleaned Up. I just wish I had a couple of Billion extra I could send for living expenses . Looks like it's going to take Years to remove all the Trash!.....So , I'd like to hear how your recovery effort(s) are going..........fordy... :eek: :)

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I've no idea of the west coast where Charley roared through or the panhandle where Ivan wreaked havoc. Here on the south central and treasure coast where we met France as a sloooooowwww Cat 2 and Jeanne as a Cat 3, clean up is happening. Given the scope of the clean up andthe extent of the damage I think it is going as well as one might hope. On Tuesday I drove past the St. Lucie county civic center - a huge buildingwhere the state fair is held among other things- and it was hidden behind acres of debris. There is no place to put all of it. Many streets are lined with debris. At our place we are still waiting for contractors to work on electrical and roofing issues and will continue having to wait. I haven't finished cleaning up the debris and the large pens /cages destroyed are still laying around looking ugly- but such is life. I have to take it little by little and do what I can when I can. I am having to pull up the carpet myself to save money on the installation labor and we are doing the painting ourselves. Both of those things will be in the next two weeks as I build the pasture fence. Our goal is to have our home back looking nicely by Thanksgiving when we are hosting a family reunion. We have been fortunate after all. So many people have no roofs over their heads and I've seen more than one home destroyed by authorities in a controlled fire - that must be heart-breaking :(

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I'll probably have DunHagan cleaned up by Christmas.

But I'd be willing to bet the downed trees I see that aren't blocking roads or actually in people's yards will be a long time getting cleaned up - if they ever do.

Going to be more than three months progress lost by the time I get everything cleaned up and back to the way it was before Charley blew up.

That's homesteading for you.

.....Alan.

4. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

Here in the Ocala National Forest and Marion County, which was hit with Jeane and Charlie, the clean up continues, slowly.. everyone seems to be back to work and repairs continue on countless houses and commercial buildings ... but.. there is still tons upon tons upon tons of downed trees and tree limbs everywhere. stacked along the roadsides everywhere. All the leaves have turned brown and they great stacks of stuff are becoming home to all kinds of nuisance animals. The county continues to pick up this stuff but it is slow. eventually, it will all get cleaned up.

on the coast there are more problems with beach erosion and that will take a while and lot more money to fix. So many homes that were damaged will not be allowed to be rebuilt as the beach is now protected area, which is good news.

The citrus crop was damaged pretty badly but there is an excess of frozen concentrated orange juice on the market so prices wont jump too dramatically. Grapefruit and grapefruit juice will likely jump as floridas crop was hurt badly and there was no real excess.

Life is mostly back on track other than the thousands still fixing their homes or bulldozing what was left. The dead are buried. Billions were paid out by FEMA and the insurance companies to help the needy. Some may think FEMA did too much, to feed and house the displaced and to aid those that couldnt pay their insurance deductables (some people had to pay deductables two or more times as hurricane coverage goes by the storm, not the calendar year) or those that didnt have any insurance.

Businesses that depend on tourism are still hurting in all the areas that were hit.Its Biketoberfest and even the bikers are not here in mass like usual.

I didnt get a dime from my insurance or from FEMA as my damage and losses were just below the line for each of two storms. It was set back financially, but it happens in life. Granted, four hurricanes in seven weeks was very very unusual, but no one said life was fair.

JMHO

Donovan

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................I sincerely hope and Pray that all of you folks in Fl. make a recovery and that your lives and families are able to resume some semblence of what your lifestyle was prior to being pounded by 4 consecutive hurricanes . I can't even begin to imagine how much devistation there is still left on the ground . Somebody said that 'we' really don't appreciate what we have until we loose IT . Hope everything works out OK for You'll......fordy... :eek: :)

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The property owners here have a contract with the trash/ debris haulers to let the dumping be done here for future burning. we are still recieving 15 to 20 - 25 yard dumps per day. I would estimate we have burnt over 5,000 cords of wood debris allready.The end is not in sight yet. Water is still up 15 to 18 inches above where it should be when normal. My wrought iron working space is knee deep still under the metal canopy next to the pond.

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

The Orlando area was hit by Charley, Frances and Jeanne. I am overwhelmed by the thought of the clean up but am doing it bit by bit. I didn't qualify for any Fema or SBA loan (too many medical bills already) so I don't know yet how the repairs will get done, but at least I can stay in my house and no one in my family was injured. It could have been much worse. The bad part for us is the psychological damage. The children missed too much school and are nervous about storms now.

8. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

I live in Central Florida, and unless you were here, I don't think you can imagine how many trees came down in the three hurricanes. Every available dump-truck, pickup truck, trailer, you-name-it has been hauling debris to various collection sites AND THERE ARE STILL TONS OF IT EVERYWHERE YOU GO!

Not too far from where I work there is a collection site with acres of tree trunks, branches, etc. They are also mulching it... and there is a MOUNTAIN (literally) of mulch. It is just hard to fathom.

But, eventually, I know it will all get cleaned up. Don't know when, though.

Prior to the hurricanes, I had an old tin shed that I had been debating about repairing or tearing down. It is now missing two sides, part of the roof, and one corner is collapsing. I haven't been able to get to it to finish the demolition because it is standing in water from all the rain!

I've lived in FL for over 40 years and I've never seen anything like this year's weather.

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Where are you at TTT? I am on 545 just outside of Winter Garden.

10. Stephanie/FL

Stephanie/FL Member

We cannot beg, borrow or steal shingles or other roofing supplies to replace our roof. We are completely tarped to keep out the rain (it rained again today).

Some home repair stores (Home Depot, Lowes, ect.) are not selling shingles to the public only to contractors. Other stores want you to come in on a daily basis and see if they have any.

We have decided to live with the tarps for a few more months and then try again for shingles.

We are also in central Florida and were hit by all 3 hurricanes. It still looks really bad around here. Some neighborhoods look like what I imagine a war zone must look like. On the other hand we have plenty of firewood for our use and plenty to spare.

Stephanie

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.......................................Stephanie , would it be possible to drive over to Ga. or Al. and maybe find some asphault shingles out of state? Of course , you would have to have a 1 ton truck and a tandem axle trailer capable of hauling 20,000 pounds or so to make it worth your time. Just a thought , fordy...

12. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

Fordy.

It is highly unlikely that it can be done. I spoke to a parent of friends of mine( a couple of who run a international ministry w/ a 4 child homgenized family, two married) I know in Pensacola, a couple of weeks ago. She said her grandson(by marriage) was still employed by the leather store inspite of the fact the store would likely not open back up anytime soon but, the rest(4 out of 7) do not have jobs now!

They were told they could not expect power for at least 6 weeks, they accidentily happened onto a generator and a couple coleman stoves between Atlanta and Pensacola after the hurricane. They call via cell phone but, can't talk long. She said her daughter waited in line for quite a while and received gas but, some behind her were turned away. Sam's Club was sold out till God only knows when. I hope and Pray for the many Floridians effected by all the hurricanes!! It has exceeded some lifelong floridians lifelong nightmares!!!!

13. MicheleMomof4

MicheleMomof4 Well-Known Member

I was at a Home Depot by I-75 in Fort Myers Thursday, LOADS of shingles to be had and selling to the general public. Those in need and willing to make a trip I can get the number for you. They will pull your order for you and having it wrapped up on pallet and even load for you :)
    Sanibel Island still looks terrible. Arcadia is sad looking as well. Cape Coral is getting places, but still ...... the city has a football field size of mulch already. Bad part is Im not allowed to partake in the free mulch, some dolts put Citrus canker invested trees in there :(

14. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm waiting for the 2 existing window companies and 4 of the existing tree removal services in Highland County to call me back- I am not high on the list since I'm not elderly and the tree is not in the house (t's the wateroak that ripped up 5 feet of shoreline across the entire lot with the roots when it went over- there is only so much we can do with a 10 inch chainsaw, and we aren't replaceing the panes but all the windows themselves with energy efficient windows) We have been waiting since the weekend after Jeanne- and we were not offered any help by by FEMA, even after I talked GFB into going down to apply- I can't help but wonder who benefitted by the 1.3 million dollars FEMA poured into Miami - Dade after Jeanne for supposed "hurricane damage"? Meanwhile, thanks for your good wishes- and we floridians will just keep on keeping on (PS did you know that historically, there has been a storm with hurricane-strength winds in EVERY month of the year in Florida? An interesting statistic from GFB the historian)

15. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............GMB , they showed some more short snips of the amount of damage from falling tree's and it is really unbelievable . I guess each person's ability to rebuild depends on how much insurance you had, how much G.Bush\Fema paid you to vote for him and how muck actual work the homeowner is physically capable of doing for themselves before the contractor(s) arrive . I think I'd go buy me a big chain saw , and several bottles of Johnny Walker Black label Scotch and a big bag of ice . My routine would be , trim alittle , sip alittle , etc . That Scotch is so environmentially friendly and it's good for frayed nerves I believe . I'd probably do more sippin' :eek: than I would trimmin' :D , ...fordy.... :eek:

16. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

And now we know why one of the most common injuries to show up in the emergency rooms after hurricanes is as a result of a chainsaw accident! :eek: :haha: :D

I'm in the "waiting for the roofer" stage myself. Haven't gotten the money from the insurance company yet and can't get a roofer to come look at the house.

The tree that fell on the house I've already cut up and cleared away. Got two big stacks of firewood in the yard. The other tree in the pasture can wait until after I've finished mowing.

There are some monstrous piles of trees to be found around Florida just now. It's a shame more of that would can't be used for fuel.

.....Alan.

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................................WELL , maybe I should JUST SIP and Supervise while somebody else Trims...fordy.. :D

18. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

I'm in St. Cloud.

19. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Stephanie/FL :

Where are you located and what color shingles do you need?

Fellow Floridians of the forum: We need to have a get together and celebrate surviving! Anyone interested in meeting at a central location for a picnic or a week end campout at a campground like the other forum members do in Arkansas? Maybe if we have it in Jan or Feb forum members from other states would be glad to make the trip to join us?

20. Shadowood

Shadowood Member

It is amazing what you get use to. Clean up will take years here. I live in Arcadia and have adjusted to the way things look. Sheets of metal flapping in trees is now normal. Houses around my neighborhood are being tore down so fast I can't keep up. Then sometimes a relative or friend from somewhere else comes to visit and they take a look around the place and they start to cry, as nothing looks the same. Nor will it ever again look just the way it was.

But there is something that happened several weeks ago that makes all of these things unimportant. My brother a FL state trooper was in a bad car accident while on duty. He survived and is getting much better, but I would rather go through all the hurricanes again than have that happen to my family.

Sometimes things seem so bad then something happens that shows you things could be way worse. I'm thankfull for everyday.

Shadowood