Ok Dog Experts...help please

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Randy Dandy, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

We just got this dog today. Free from WalMart parking lot. Her name is Butter.
    The lady giving them away said that they are mostly Labrador but also a little pit bull. I personally dont care a lot for pit bull but this was the only one that was yellow/golden colored. I liked it but told the wife I would leave the decision up to her to take it or not. Well you can see what she wanted. The others were solid black Labrador looking. She said they was born Nov. 8th. The feet appear to be very webbed. Can we please have some opinions if this dog is mostly Labrador from the pictures ?
    Thanks
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/Mudball/Butter005.jpg
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/Mudball/Butter004.jpg
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/Mudball/Butter003.jpg
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/Mudball/Butter002.jpg
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/Mudball/Butter001.jpg

2. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

no expert here but I think yes.
    She's a doll!

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I think she's probably mostly lab, but she's too young to tell much- all young puppies look alike to a great extent.

4. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

ditto :)

5. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

The fact of the matter is that pit bulls, although very unreputable, are actually very sweet dogs. I know, I was suprised as well. I worked as a vet tech at an animal hospital that worked closely with the local pound. They had mostly stray pitbulls that were left for dead on the side of the road. Now I wouldnt call them a bird dog like a lab, but they were as sweet as could be. Playfull and funny. And these animals were obviously abused and neglected. So, if yor little pup has some pit in her, raise her right and shell be a lovely dog. I would consider the pit as a good trait in her, not a negative. Maybe you can avoid the overweight lazy lab syndrom by having a little pit in her. Okay lab lovers, dont react. Its true, we love them, but they can be drooly overweight couch potatoes, just admit it! =)

6. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I also see mostly lab in her...
    good luck with Butter.

7. Randy Dandy

Thank you all very much for your help. Yes her gums are pink and she appears to be very healthy but the wife is going to be taking her to the vet the first of the week. The lady giving her away said she was wormed but we will let the vet make any decisions for us. Please take no offense toward pit bulls. Its just that Im partial to labradors because of childhood experiences with them. You are right about labs being kinds fat and lazy. We have one outside 7 year old black female lab mix (mostly lab) and she is kinda overweight and very laid back.
    Thanks again for the help.
    PS. I kinda felt sorry for the lady giving the pups away because she cried from having to give them puppies away. God bless her.

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You can see a suggestion of pitbull in the muzzle to the stop and in the feet. Wouldn't concern me. PB's are generally no better or worse than any other breed, just more often ruined. Sweetest dog I ever met was a brindle purebred Pitty.

9. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

We just adopted a couple pitt-lab mixes this weekend; one I'm pretty sure is the result of a random "one night stand", as he looks like an Anatolian (sort of). I'll try to get some pics up of his definite half pitt brother up tonight; your little girl doesn't look a thing like him. :D

10. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Lab I think but also I think I see a little pit. I have known many stable good Pits and Pit mixes with awesome temperaments, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Try to keep the weight down, no matter how much begging, or how cute or pitiful they learn to look at you. Being Overweight is really not good for growing pups.

She is a cutie for sure!

11. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Congrats! Sounds like the lady found at least one good home ;) Looks like your kids have found a great playmate and looks like Butter will have a great life. I love the name Butter too.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Looks mostly lab to me. Sure is a CUTIE! :)

13. Randy Dandy

Thank you all again for your help. The wife was able to find time take Butter to the vet today. He said that she did look mostly labrador to him. He also said that he wouldnt care if she was half lab and half pitt because he said pitt bulls are very good dogs in general. She was given a clean bill of health except for some kind of worms he treated her for and said was very common among puppies and not a big concern. She weighs 6.2 lbs. According to the vet bill she received 1)Fecal 2)Deworm 3)DHPPC Series. Looks like she is going to be alright. Thanks again.

14. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

November 8? She's only six weeks old. That is very young to be removed from the litter. This puppy is going to need some major socializing. Ideally, your older dog will become the puppy's aunt and teach her what she needs to know. Put them together as soon as possible, on opposite sides of a fence if you are worried, but the puppy really needs the older dog.