OK, another wood stove question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by buddyboat, Oct 23, 2005.

1. buddyboat

buddyboat Active Member

So my home is about 1000 sq ft with an upstairs.
    I WAS thinking about an outdoor wood furnace. If I WERE to go with a indoor wood burner (in my livingroom) to heat my home, what would YOU suggest???
    I am looking for quality here, no China junk.
    Thank you for your time....Buddyboat

P.S. So WHERE IS our wood burning forum?????????????????????

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We have done franklin stoves before.

We did do a very expensive air-tight high-tech stove once.

This next one is going to be an open hearth in the center of the living room. Exhaust hood suspended from the ceiling with copper tubing tightly coiled around it. On the hearth we will have an iron grate with propane burners underneath. So we can burn propane, or wood or peat.

Low-tech but pretty.

In our past, we have done very well each time that we wrapped the flue with copper tubing and used it to heat water (which was then pumped to base boards).

3. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

From another post of mine, our favorite is Blaze King catalytic wood stoves,

Good Luck

Alex

4. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking setup with the wood stove and the tile floor. Another nice thing about solid logs is if there is a problem with heat you will likely see it.

For a 1000 sq.ft plus second floor the size of woodstove and how effectively you can heat the entire space depends on how open the space is, how tight and well insulated it is, and whether you like bedrooms warmer or colder than the rest of your house. Interior walls are like R2 maybe, so heat will go through them but only if the exterior walls are considerably more insulated and there are not too many windows. Opening doors to the rest of the house helps distribute the heat. Ventilation systems that push fresh air into bedrooms can sometimes work against you. If your heating bill is low, a small wood stove might heat your entire house. If your heating bill is high, a large wood stove might overheat your livingroom, but leave the rest of the house cold, so you might still want a smaller stove just for the one room, and a few rooms immediately off it.

That said, I would size a stove based on my current heating bill like Alex said, and how much wood I really wanted to move around every year. Most heating days are not the coldest, so being able to put out just 10,000 BTU/hr is important. That is still the equivalent of two 1500watt electric heaters on full blast. 1-2 cords of wood is still a lot of wood and can provide 50% of your heating needs, perhaps more.

Take this little classic:
    Only 66% efficient, but probably good for 5,000 to 25,000 BTU/hour, which is 1 to 5 pounds of wood per hour, and enough of a stove to burn 2 cords in one heating season, though it would keep you busy with frequent loadings.
    http://jotulflame.com/602specs.html

For more of a livingroom setting you might want something a little bigger and more efficent and in a different style, but it doesn't have to be much bigger. Being able to burn 18" logs is sufficient for 16" cordwood, and 24" cordwood is too big for all but the stoves which are probably to big for your needs. 16" cordwood also dries faster. It is usually easier to dry 2 cords then 8 cords also. Without knowing your house, I would suggest finding something with an efficiency of 80%, but a maxium output of 40,000 BTU is probably more than sufficient, and would easily heat your entire house if the heat can get around to it, and you don't mind handling 4-5 cords per year. But for me, more than 1-2 cords takes the fun out of it.