oink,oink,oink,oink and our other brother oink

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Siryet, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

The are very friendly. Two fer us. We are raising then selling the third and two will be leaving tomorrow with a friend of ours.

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Cute little buggers. How old/how much do they weigh?
    I will be getting my first pair of piglets in a little over a week. They are supposed to be 40 pounders but the transaction so far has been via telephone - I haven't seen them. I'm wondering if they are large enough at 40 lbs to not fit through the lower sections of a cattle panel? I'm finishing the housing this morning (more or less) and building the pen afterwards. I'll be adding a string of hotwire at 6" or so but wonder if I should throw on some chicken wire until they put on some weight. I'd hate to get them home and spend the first day chasing them.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

AWWWWW.....very cute. ;)

4. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I have 2 strands of hotwire, 4 inches and 16 or18" (between snout & eyes). My gilt is due in may so I'll know more then, but better to be lower and weed wack if need be than to high and spend the extra $'s on panels to hold them in.

Dan

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

They are about 25 lbs except fer the little one. We have barn siding at the bottom of our panels in their pen out side (not Shown) to prevent breakouts and we have been lucky that there hasn't been any. I figure they can't see the rest of the world than they won't want to go there.

We don't use electric with our pigs.

Good luck with yours and remember to enjoy them as they grow.

6. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Thanx and apologies for the thread drift. After giving it some thought I think I'll ring the outside of the cattle panels with some salvage tin roofing I have on hand in addition to my electric strands and remove the tin when the pair are too big to possibly get through. In the meantime, a fence made of old roofing will fit in nicely with the rest of our Kettle look. :)

7. MRSSTEAK

MRSSTEAK Well-Known Member

We raised pigs last year for the first time. Our pig pen was Hog panels (they have smaller squares at the bottom than cattle panels) with railroad ties lining the inside. No electric wire. We free fed them the commercial pig food you get at your local feed store and we made a deal with an owner of a produce stand so we could have all his old produce. We fed produce to them once a day. They grew so fast and they were the best tasting pork we ever had. Good luck with your new little ones. :D