Oil Well ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by B Adams, Feb 13, 2005.

1. B Adams

B Adams Well-Known Member

I have a question concerning an oil well that is on our property. This well has not been touched in 3 years, just sitting there. We do not own the mineral rights to this property but would like to see the well pulled. The fences are not in good repair around the tanks and we check to make sure we do not get cattle around the tanks. We would like to sell 25-30 acres that we have a house on and of course this is on that particular parcel. I realize we cannot make them pull the rig just because we want to sell off this acerage but if they are not going to maintain the well, what rights as a property owner do we have. What constitutes an abandonded well? We are located in texas if that makes any difference. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. B Adams

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Yes, it does make a difference. Since you live in Texas, you can contact the Texas Railroad Commission to complain that the well site is not being maintained. The Rail Road Commission is the supervisory authority for oil and gas wells.

There is supposed to be a well sign on it that states the name of the well and the operator, but if it has been abandoned, the sign may be gone.

To help you with the terminology, what you want is for it to be 'plugged and abandoned' and the 'location' cleaned up.

When you say 'pull the rig' you are going to confuse people. A rig is the derrick, etc., used when the well was drilled. What you may have is a pumping unit, also known as a pump jack, or if it was producing on its own, you may just have a well head, which is a stack of valves, also known as a 'Christmas tree.'

The tanks would also be removed and dirt work done. Some of the old dirt may have to be removed as hazardous waste.

You must also realize that whatever company drilled and/or operated the well may no longer be in business.

Who owns the surface rights?

Where are you located? You can PM me if you need more help.

3. B Adams

Thank you for your response Rose. I just did not know how to word this.

4. Senior

Senior Active Member

Not sure about Texas but in Tenn, that well would be considered abandon and the mineral rights would revert back to the landowner. But the previous company to hold the lease would be responsible for cleanup and plugging the well.

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

if there is a gas pocket in there, it might be worth your wile to try to claim it as an abandoned well.

6. B Adams

There are 2 oil storage tanks and 2 metal cylinder shaped tanks that I don't have a clue what they are. The gas is already piped into a gas line that runs across the edge of the property, but we have no mineral rights so dh says we can't get rights for the gas. Then again we would have to run a line a really long ways. But I guess if the well is not running neither is the gas. Just really don't know much about this stuff lol. B Adams

7. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

The best way to tell if it is abandoned or not is look at the site.

Is there trees growing up around the Oil Jack that would make it inoperatable?

Over here in the Illinois Basin we got mostly recovery wells producing a whooping 1 barrel a day. these units are quite small
    [​IMG]

We got Abandoned wells around here, our autority on Oil production is handled by the Illinois Mines and minerals office that has a plugging program.

If your in Illinois I would visit the, Illinois Oil Field Museum and Resource Center
    At Oblong, Illinois
    http://www.theonlyoblong.com/oil_field/oblong_oilfield.html

In Illinois we got a program...
    A typical abandoned Oilwell in Illinois!
    [​IMG]

But abandoned Oilfeild stuff is quite useful, check this out!
    http://bayoutrails.org/forum/images/LittleAlabama/images/A camp made from an abandoned oil tank.jpg