Homesteading Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've finally found out where the well is going and it will be in sight of the house. It'll be fairly far away but still, we can see it. Prepare for TMI, I like to wander about naked or half naked. I just do. We live far enough out that no one can usually see me. My DH is really getting insistent that I not do that now that a well is going up. Opinions??

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
As your son gets older, aren't you going to want to stop doing that anyway? My DH used to be that way but changed his mind when oldest dd came up one time at about 3yr old and asked, "Daddy, what's that?"

I hope that doesn't sound snarky, it's really not meant to. More of a tongue in cheek thing.

Also, given what kind of people I knew who worked the oilfields when I was in Thermop, I most definitely would not be naked where I could be seen by some of those guys.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If there are going to be people frequently working at the well and you'll be alone, I would say no. I know that your being naked is not an invitation but it could tempt a pervert moreso than you being clothed would. Just err on the side of caution!

Could you possibly install a privacy fence around part of the perimeter facing the well? That way you can scamper around naked and they will be none the wiser!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Just keep your clothes on until the well is finished and then go about your business as usual. There won't be anyone tending the well once it's finished, maybe an occasional gauger or maintenance person.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As your son gets older, aren't you going to want to stop doing that anyway? My DH used to be that way but changed his mind when oldest dd came up one time at about 3yr old and asked, "Daddy, what's that?"

I hope that doesn't sound snarky, it's really not meant to. More of a tongue in cheek thing.

Also, given what kind of people I knew who worked the oilfields when I was in Thermop, I most definitely would not be naked where I could be seen by some of those guys.
My 3 year old knows boys have penis and girls have vaginas. I work for a criminal lawyer, when you hear a kid try to describe what's been done to them but they can't because they only know fake names and have to point to a doll.....well it makes you decide your kids are going to know all the body parts. No shame in my house.

·
Registered
507 Posts
After it's drilled and completed there won't be anyone there most of the time, put in some trees in the way if you're really concerned about it. If they do see you.. you will become a celebrity, it's boring on the rigs :p

Reactions: crazyfarm

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
My 3 year old knows boys have penis and girls have vaginas. I work for a criminal lawyer, when you hear a kid try to describe what's been done to them but they can't because they only know fake names and have to point to a doll.....well it makes you decide your kids are going to know all the body parts. No shame in my house.

Agreed but there is a difference between knowing the parts and seeing them all the time, although I personally think that stuff comes into play more in puberty than when little. I think it would be very awkward for my son to deal with me naked at that time of his life. Or maybe it would just be awkward for me. :D

I came to a similar conclusion as you after sitting in many counseling sessions with my foster kids about similar issues.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed but there is a difference between knowing the parts and seeing them all the time, although I personally think that stuff comes into play more in puberty than when little. I think it would be very awkward for my son to deal with me naked at that time of his life. Or maybe it would just be awkward for me. :D

I came to a similar conclusion as you after sitting in many counseling sessions with my foster kids about similar issues.
I think nudity is only awkward because that is what society says. If we were in Japan or Europe it wouldn't be an issue. The body is just the body.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I think you need to wait until the well is finished and the work crews are no longer there. It should only be for a short period of time. Otherwise, if it's so important to you to go nude while the workmen are there, then seriously ask yourself how much trouble, unwanted attention and ruinous gossip you want to invite into your life and your husband's life.

If you run around naked outside while the men are working on installing the oil well there's bound to be one or two of them will think it's a deliberate invitation to them to provide you with some physical attention, not just voyeurism.

At the very least word will get around about you and there will be malicious gossip about you in town that you're flaunting your goodies to a crew of workmen. That will make your husband look inadequate and will give you a reputation in your local town as a sl-- which might cause you or your husband to be shunned or treated poorly by local people you have to deal with publically and socially.

At the very worst some local man (or group of men) who hears the gossip about your behaviour, or one or more of the oil well workmen, could pay you a troublesome and possibly very harmful visit when you're all alone.

I think it's not worth the trouble, the possible harm and disrespect it will get you and the possibility of you becoming a social pariah is something you can't live down unless you move to a new location and start a new life again.

I live in a place where women can legally go bare-breasted in public places - like in town, the library, the community center, the mall, on the streets - you name it. Just because we women can legally do it doesn't mean we should do it though, and there's only one woman I've ever seen here who feels the need to exercise her right to go topless in town. With her it's become an "in your face" thing and she's ended up making a social pariah of herself and an object of ridicule because of it. She's ended up in hospital a couple of times after being waylaid by drunk young thugs who beat her up to "teach her a lesson".

It's just not worth the trouble when the trouble could be so easily avoided by showing respect for other people's sensitivities about public modesty.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eh, this won't be a problem for me honestly, gossip. My town isn't THAT small at 50k people. I live outside of the city limits and such. Though I am really famous at the local urgent care because I went in with cement burns I received while cementing the duck pond naked. That PA has never had a more entertaining visit I'm sure. He always remembers me!!!

I did live in Japan for 4 years and would onsen often. I'm just comfortable naked. So if it's warm and I'm working in dirt, I don't want to bother washing clothes and go about naked. Sometimes it's not full naked. Just whatever happens, happens.

As for the well on the 640 acre section I am on one side and the well is on the other. Just the way the land is shaped the in between land is in a gully and the well and my land are on top of the hills so we can see the well location. I'm not sure how clear the people on it will be or how clear our house will be to them.

As far as potential rape I can honestly say I've faced worse at work so at the house, with dogs and guns, I'm not too worried.

But it is winter and they're setting it up now so if they finish before summer this may never be a consideration for me. I've no desire to literally freeze my tits off. :p

I think you need to wait until the well is finished and the work crews are no longer there. It should only be for a short period of time. Otherwise, if it's so important to you to go nude while the workmen are there, then seriously ask yourself how much trouble, unwanted attention and ruinous gossip you want to invite into your life and your husband's life.

If you run around naked outside while the men are working on installing the oil well there's bound to be one or two of them will think it's a deliberate invitation to them to provide you with some physical attention, not just voyeurism.

At the very least word will get around about you and there will be malicious gossip about you in town that you're flaunting your goodies to a crew of workmen. That will make your husband look inadequate and will give you a reputation in your local town as a sl-- which might cause you or your husband to be shunned or treated poorly by local people you have to deal with publically and socially.

At the very worst some local man (or group of men) who hears the gossip about your behaviour, or one or more of the oil well workmen, could pay you a troublesome and possibly very harmful visit when you're all alone.

I think it's not worth the trouble, the possible harm and disrespect it will get you and the possibility of you becoming a social pariah is something you can't live down unless you move to a new location and start a new life again.

I live in a place where women can legally go bare-breasted in public places - like in town, the library, the community center, the mall, on the streets - you name it. Just because we women can legally do it doesn't mean we should do it though, and there's only one woman I've ever seen here who feels the need to exercise her right to go topless in town. With her it's become an "in your face" thing and she's ended up making a social pariah of herself and an object of ridicule because of it. She's ended up in hospital a couple of times after being waylaid by drunk young thugs who beat her up to "teach her a lesson".

It's just not worth the trouble when the trouble could be so easily avoided by showing respect for other people's sensitivities about public modesty.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Eh, this won't be a problem for me honestly, gossip. My town isn't THAT small at 50k people. I live outside of the city limits and such. Though I am really famous at the local urgent care because I went in with cement burns I received while cementing the duck pond naked. That PA has never had a more entertaining visit I'm sure. He always remembers me!!!

I did live in Japan for 4 years and would onsen often. I'm just comfortable naked. So if it's warm and I'm working in dirt, I don't want to bother washing clothes and go about naked. Sometimes it's not full naked. Just whatever happens, happens.

As for the well on the 640 acre section I am on one side and the well is on the other. Just the way the land is shaped the in between land is in a gully and the well and my land are on top of the hills so we can see the well location. I'm not sure how clear the people on it will be or how clear our house will be to them.

As far as potential rape I can honestly say I've faced worse at work so at the house, with dogs and guns, I'm not too worried.

But it is winter and they're setting it up now so if they finish before summer this may never be a consideration for me. I've no desire to literally freeze my tits off. :p
Okay, so if none of those things are issues for you then I guess that's good for you. I guess what you were really asking for opinions about was whether or not you should respect your husband's wishes and concerns?

My DH is really getting insistent that I not do that now that a well is going up. Opinions??
I can't express an opinion about that. You're the only one that can decide for yourself if you want to respect your husband and make him happy and ease his mind of his worries.

I hope for both of your sakes that the workmen will be finished installing the oil well before warm weather sets in again.

I do think you would be wise to plant some kind of privacy screen that will block the view from the oil well. Maybe that would be a good compromise between you and your husband.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Why would you even think that you have to ask for other peoples opinions ??
Common sense should be used.

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
It kinds of sounds like you just wanted to tell us about how much you enjoy being naked all the time, no matter who can see you,.... Not looking for real opinions. My kids were taught what their body parts are called, does not mean anyone wants to see their mother or father naked all the time... That's just too weird for me.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Now you have done it, you posted on a public forum, the NSA is going to have drones flying all around your house now, and you know what perverts they are. Yep they can find you because your posts are traceable with your IP address. :)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I would think wondering around naked season is close to passing in Wyoming until next summer. I guess it would depend on when they drill the well. If your close to the road your traffic level will increase dramatically during drilling and finishing work.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.