Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some for a sinus infection at health food store. Salesperson indicated this was hard on your system, particularly the stomach. Any input on this? I've been taking 2 days and much improved.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Probably a case by case deal. It made me throw up right away. I know it's suposed to be great for sinus infections...wish I could have kept it down :(

·
Registered
785 Posts
We use it all the time for heartburn. It really sooths when your stomach is upset. Doesn't seem to have any other side effects. Are you sure the person knew what they were talking about?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oregano oil is wonderful, but should not be taken longer than 2 weeks before waiting at least 2 weeks before taking more. Taken too long a time or in high dosages, it can cause damage to the liver is what a naturopathic doctor cautioned me. She highly recommended it but reminded that herbs can be powerful and should be not taken in concentrated amounts on a daily basis. I feel much safer using oregano oil than synthetic drugs, but we alternate between oregano oil, olive leaf extract, echinacea and golden seal, garlic, colloidal silver, different things for the various sicknesses.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yup good stuff. It is good for your stomach and intestines, everything really. My sister uses it for sinus infection, she was at the point were the doctor were going to remove them so she tried this stuff. Worked, then the infection came nack so she mixed it with olive oil and dripped it down her nose. It burns like hell for a little bit but kills everything in there. She has been good for a year now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I swear by it. Both orally and a few drops on the nose entrance to inhale the fumes........

First tie I ever used it I was shocked the green stuff I was blowing out..........

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wear hearing aids and one of my daughters wears a cichlear implant. Overtime, we develop sort of a cradle cap scaliness behind our ears. Just scraping it off can be ainful. So we dab some oregano oil on the spots each night at bedtime. And it helps loosen and heal the skin. It works well on cuts and scrapes, but man, is it ever pungent smelling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is a very powerful antibiotic, antiviral medicinal plant. Take as you would any other antibiotic, for 10 to 14 days. For those who have sensitive stomachs, you can bypass the stomach and get the enteric coated capsules.. They will pass through the stomach and go directly into the intestines for better absorption.

A milder and just as effective herbal (or more) is the pycnogenol from the bark of the maritime trees. This is even used for cancer, HPV and other STD's, even Aids. Very powerful. As always, make sure you are getting herbals from a reliable source that has been proven to have what it says as the ingredients.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I always thought Oil of Oregano isn't recommended to be taken internally?
For topical use as an antiseptic, I use it for cuts and such.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I always thought Oil of Oregano isn't recommended to be taken internally?
For topical use as an antiseptic, I use it for cuts and such.
Oregano can certainly be taken internally. The oil is just more concentrated than the leaf, which is what most people use when cooking. The oil should be diluted when taken internally or put on sensitive areas of the body. I think companies just try to protect themselves from law suits and avoid problems with the FDA, so they say not to take anything internally. If aspirin were just now being "discovered" and marketed, it would probably be illegal. Of course, most pharmaceutical shouldnt' be taken internally and should be illegal (in my opinion). :)

Jenny

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
When suffering from an infection, I'll put a couple drops in a pot of tomatoe soup, otherwise, I'll sniff the bottle!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The only problem with oregano oil is that you've got to make sure you're getting the real deal.

Sometimes the ingredients are thyme based instead of oregano based. I guess it's cheaper and easier to obtain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is great stuff, I always have some on hand. I put a few drops under my tongue. Once you get past the taste, your home free.

Just with everything else, be sure you know how to use it and not over use it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts