Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. so I had this horrible tooth abscess. I looked like a chipmunk, couldn't close my mouth and was drooling..I mean, my face was horribly swollen and the root thingie was the size of a small grape. Got the picture?
So I trundle off to the natural foods store to get stuff being that it is the weekend and as we all know, nothing ever happens any other time... ever!
I ended up with some Oil of Oregano.
I broke open the gelcap and squirted the oil onto half a cotton ball and winced as I jammed it up into the sore spot.
Three hours and three capsules later:
my face is normal (for the most part) and the grape lump in my jaw is now FLAT again!~!!!!!!
I have had lots of abscesses over the years and have tried many things from tea bags to charcoal and garlic shoved up there.. nothing has ever worked so fast or so well!
Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone know if this will work for ear infections.
I don't know about the Oregano, but for ear infections, I use plain old white vinegar cut half strength with water. A couple drops of the vinegar/water mixture every couple hours and it goes away pretty quickly. It changes the PH in the ear and makes it so the bacteria can't grow. I actually did this one time when I had a really bad ear infection and couldn't get a Dr.'s appointment quickly. By the time I got to the Dr. a couple days later, it was already almost gone and he said that it was a perfectly valid treatment and that he really didn't see any reason to give me prescription drops since it was responding to the vinegar/water.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I was reading about oil of oregano yesterday. It is supposed to be good to fight the flu (or other viral infections). If I remember right, you take 6-8 drops at a time, about 5 times a day. Of course it said that it doesn't taste good nor is it good to leave on your skin. I looked up the prices and all I can say is WOW! One site was ~$56/oz. If I get the money I will buy some to have on hand but I would use it sparingly.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Is what you're talking about Oregano essential oil?

Twila

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought Solaray Oil of Oregano soft gelcaps.. 60 for $10. They had some other brands that were more expensive, but I like Solaray products and have used them many times with good results.. so i went the cheaper route and cannot complain.
I am going to add it to my toothbrush at night from now on.
I have inherited awful teeth issues and can use all the help I can get.
The taste is not that bad at all...I really didn't notice I had it in my mouth. I thought sucking a teabag was worse. And it is waaaay better than Grapefruit Seed Oil Extract.. blech!

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Many thanks for the info. That was something I didn't have in my preps. Never know when/if a tooth emergency is going to strike, and it's never when a dentist office is open anyways.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The price and concentration of oil of oregano varies from product to product. It's put into another oil, like olive oil, otherwise it would be too strong. I think my current bottle is 20% carvacrol, the last I bought. Usually the higher the percentage of carvacrol, the higher the cost.

I've been using it for several years, but only for bacterial infections. I use elderberry extract for viral infections. If the elderberry doesn't work on the sore throat I know it's bacterial and switch to the oil of oregano. (two drops in a touch of water, twice a day) DD had strep so often before that they figured they'd have to take her tonsils out. Since using the oil of oregano on her sore throats (if elderberry failed), she hasn't had to see a doc about it for the last 4 or 5 years.

Also works well on inflammed cuts, but use sparingly, as it burns the skin if you use too much. I prefer it to antibiotic ointment.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
This is good imformation to know. I didn't even know there was such a thing as oil of oregano. Could a person make their own do you think? Add some fresh oregano to say a cup of olive oil and let it set for a few weeks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mysticdream, don't know about that. From what I read, before I started using it, what we call Oregano here in North America (what you buy in the stores) is not what is used to make the oil. I think in many instances what we buy is Marjoram. I'd do some really good research into making herbals before using the stuff you may have in your cupboard.

If you do it, you may have to grow your own. I'd think crushing it before putting it in something to leech out the oil first would be a must. However, I'm sure there must be someone (or a few someones) on here that could tell you how to do it.

G

·
I had a lot of problems with tooth abscesses before I discovered Co-Q-10. That's an antioxidant that's a distant cousin to Vitamin E. Now, when I feel an abscess coming on, I take a couple hundred mg. every few hours, and the abscess clears right up- within hours to a day or so. Before, I would suffer for days to weeks, and it never really went away completely.
I don't know about the Oregano, but for ear infections, I use plain old white vinegar cut half strength with water. A couple drops of the vinegar/water mixture every couple hours and it goes away pretty quickly. It changes the PH in the ear and makes it so the bacteria can't grow.
I'm going to have to try that.

·
Registered
597 Posts
To answer Twila's question, no it's not the same thing.

And no, you can't just simmer some oregano, wild or otherwise, in olive oil and have the same thing. The oregano is distilled and extracted (like essential oil) before being mixed with the olive oil.

Vitality Works (you can Google them) has 1 oz. bottles of oil of oregano for $25. At least last time I got one, that was the price. And it's better than the $79 a bottle stuff, in my opinion.

~Lannie

1 - 20 of 28 Posts