Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. We had a discussion about this late yesterday.
Let's say you own an auto repair shop. I just bought 4 new tires and an oil change from you. I had to pay you a fee to dispose of my old tires and oil.
Here's the question. Do you now sell my old tires and oil or does someone collect them and pay you for them?
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I messed up. Do you have to pay someone to take them or does someone pay you?
If you buy tires, oil at most shops you pay them to keep the old tires. Years ago when i first retired i got tires from a shop for 50 cents a tire. I Sold most of them to a tires company that melted them down for 75 cents each. Most of them i just filled up a few ditches on my farm and put dirt on top. Planted pasture on top Put tree tops on top and trash and burn the trash. Now i hve crops growing there. Not taking anymore tires from the tire shop as i don't have time to mess with them
When i buy new tires from shop i deal with i keep my old tires when replacing with new tires. I don't know if most shops will charge you if you keep the old tires. I think some do.

·
Registered
731 Posts
In NY they charge you a buck a tire even if you take them home .
most guys use the oil in heaters for the shop . There is no charge to take it .
I don’t know if some one pays them for old oil or not .

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,616 Posts
It's too bad tires are such a necessity but more or less a dead end product. I've seen them used as playground mulch in one area but the chemicals they're claimed to leech made that unwise.

I think now most in the state are hauled to Maine and burned in factories.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've read that tires are used as fuel, used to make asphalt type road surfaces, repurposed for all kinds of stuff.
I hear that some tire dealers will charge a disposal fee, then sell the tires as used. All legitimate, of course in most cases.
Us old guys sometimes ponder really minor stuff.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,616 Posts
^ Our track in high school was made from recycled tires but I'm surprised it's not used more often since tires are so common and towns can't even give them away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We operate a large 5000sq/f auto shop and charge a disposal fee for any tire the customer leaves behind. We then store the junk tires and every so often a tire recycling crew come to pick them up at a price. As for old oil we store that in tanks and heat the shop with it using a waste oil burner. Customers do not get charged for old oil at our shop however many shops do charge a hazardous waste fee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts