Ohio

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mwtslf23, Jun 18, 2006.

1. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

Hi,

The family and I are looking at piece of property in Ohio. I was wandering if anyone could tell me the good and the bad about Ohio, especially the area in and around Galion, OH. We are thinking about moving from Texas. We are sick of the heat, fire ants and no rain.

Thank you,
    Mike

2. Loumeister

Loumeister Member

Ohio, What can i say? I've lived here all my life so it's home sweet home. I'm up north so we see the full spectrum of weather from the high 90's to -10s at times.... It's over all very habitable compared to places that are allweays hot or cold. The the north/west side of the state is pretty much flat like texas for the most part, the south/east side is beutifull rolling hills....The unofficial state mascot appears the be the orange cunstruction barrell as they seem to be perpteually working on the roads, Traffic sucks, but that's pretty uch true most places these days. That's my 2cents...

Loumeister

3. scaryguyoy

scaryguyoy Well-Known Member

Ohio is great,youll get plenty of rain.And snow.I cant say enough good things about the state.
    Scary

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Galion is not to bad .I used to go thru there quite A few times A year. Theres lots to do in that area too.

5. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I had to google it to find the location. I don't get up that way much but I get my ducks butchered in Mansfield. The soil in most of Ohio is clay, not pretty clay like Georgia has but a mucky, icky brown clay. The Galion area gets lots of rain and snow. Our spring so far has been warmer/colder than usual (depending on which week it was) and wetter/drier than usual (depending on which week it was). You won't be able to grow many winter crops but we can grow sweet corn, something my Texan cousin really misses. You really have to check plant labels when buying landscape plants. Some stuff sold in the nurseries will not survive a cold wet Ohio winter. And you get to traverse icy roads and thaw frozen water pipes, but on the plus side, the kids may get to enjoy a "snow day" due to nasty road conditions. The water tastes a lot different too. Might take some getting used to.

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Lots of good, some bad, and some indifferent things to say about Ohio, but I just don't want to tonight. I will check back tomorrow (later today) and try to format it.

7. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

Looking foward to here what you have to say Zeal. I will be checking back. Thank you to the others who ahve posted your opions. One more question though, what are the ppl like in Ohio. In Texas everyone for the most part is still pretty freindly, they still wave at ay when your driving.

Mike

8. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I'm noit particularly familiar with the Galion area but I'm a transplant to Ohio and I like it. Taxes are higher than some other states.

Eastern Ohio is hilly (appalachia) and you need to look at property carefully to avoid buying reclaimed strip mine land (unless you just want land).

Jobs can be tight in Ohio depending.

I've found people friendly by and large.

Just a few random thoughts.

Mike

9. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

I don't live in Ohio, but have family in the Galion area. I would move there in a minute - and it might actually happen in a few more years. It is a typical Ohio small town. As somebody said, you aren't too far from lots of activity in the Mansfield area, lots of shopping, etc.
    The people in Ohio are very friendly in my experience. If you are nice to them, they will be nice to you !

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

to many people twice as many as ky. to many zoning regulations, all the good farm land is being turned into houses and malls

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Skeeters.Big ones.Think B-52 here.

BooBoo

12. babysteps

babysteps living at 6800 feet

I grew up in Columbus, OH and my folks now live in the Mansfield area where all our family is/was. The Galion area is nice. Just is nice is the Bellville/Buttler area. Very nice summers. Cold snowy winters, but lots and lots of farms and what looks like folks who work hard ad large gardens. There is a nice farmers market in Bellville. Great churches in the whole Mansfield area if you are looking to find a good church home.
    babysteps

13. seedspreader

Ok, here goes:
    I am born and bred Ohio, but have lived in Colorado for a short period of time. I've "stayed" in a lot states for periods of time ranging from weeks to months.

Ohio is average.

Some people might think that this is a condemnation but as I explain, I think you will see that average is an exceptional thing in reality. I am going to divide my post up into several sections. Please keep in mind I am going to give my opinion for most of the post but there will be statistical facts included also.
    People
    Religion
    Climate/Geography
    Culture
    Economics
    Government

People
    I find Ohio folks to be courteous for the most part. Many folks from other regions would probably say other things. We are not "friendly" in the way that I think of the Southern U.S. as "friendly", but we are courteous. We will nod, when we look each other in the eye. We will wave, when we are waved to. We will chat when we are afforded the opportunity, but, in general, we are fairly private people. We are diverse. Ohio was founded as a free state, that means that slavery was never allowed here in Ohio. I would say the northern parts of ohio are more diverse than the southern parts. In Northern Ohio not many folks would say much about a mixed marriage or a minority moving into the area. With that said though, many folks stick to what they are comfortable with. The school disctrict I went to did not have any black kids in it when I attended. We had hispanics, asians, and of course a smattering of exchange students. But that school district covered the largest geographical area in Ohio at the time and it was all rural.

The "small town" is alive and well in Ohio and I will cover some more of it in the culture section, but we don't seem to be plagued with the good ol' boy network as many small town/rural areas do. People (like law enforcement officers and judges and attorneys) take their job seriously. When I say we are not plagued, I don't mean that it can't happen, or that it doesn't occassionaly happen, because people are people and there are crooks everywhere, but it's the exception and not the rule.

Privacy is important to us

Justice is important to us as a whole, and right or wrong, we tend to fight for what we believe in. There are regions of vast conservative areas and vast liberal areas. Oberlin college is about as liberal as you can get, and of course there are other colleges that are very conservative. But in the end, it's all just average. Ohio has never voted for a candidate in the presidential elections that didn't win. We are a crossroads of American people as well as a geographical crossroads.

The biggest disconnect is seen between city folks and country folks, and the suburban areas are a strange mix of both. We look at many of our city counterparts as oddly as we would anyone from out of state, probably more oddly, truth be told. Please keep in mind that this is a generality, but if you move here from pretty much ANYWHERE, I think most people will accept you without any problems, but if you come to the rural areas from an Ohio city, we take a little bit of a "wait and see" attitude. This was illustrated this last election when a fellow was running for one of the 3 township trustee seats for our township. He came on our land (we were chopping/splitting wood and he walked up and started talking to us. Within the first 10 minutes of discussion me and my father both figured that he wouldn't be getting our vote. He wanted to lower the land requirements and wanted county water on every road in the township, and wanted zoning making people "clean up their land". Our township is becoming a rarity in our county. We don't have one traffic light in the whole 7 square miles of the township, and we don't want it to change.

But the people are progessive also, I have high speed internet and love it. It's the best of both worlds. We are average people. Everyone either has lived in Ohio or has family in Ohio and we are just average American's in the Heartland.

Next post will be about religion.

14. seedspreader

Religion
    Ohio is mostly protestant according to the statistics, but it seems to be also tied into geographics too. To me it seems like there are liberal protestant denominations in the cities, catholic denominations in the suburbs and conservative protestants in the rural areas. And of course there is a fairly large jewish contingent in Cleveland along with a large asian and moslem contingent. But Cleveland is somewhat the exception. The other big "c"s Columbus and Cincinnati have a variety of religions also, but not ALL of them like Cleveland does.

Ohio is a place that is fairly tolerant of different religions and it's no big deal if the mormons, Jehovahs Witnesses or even the baptists come knocking on your door, we are courteous and don't take offense to it.

Although I don't really see discrimination against atheist, we probably have the hardest time understanding them than anyone else. Once you spend a fall in Ohio, on the backroads in Amish country, it's just hard to not believe in God. Give me an Ohio fall vs. a New England fall anyday! Of course I will touch on it more in the climate section, but when you see an Ohio harvest, you just know God has blessed you.

Climate/Geography
    Geographically, Ohio is basically broken up into four areas. Wikipedia covers this fairly well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio

As far as climate, there is a considerable diffence in regions. We have one of only three places in the world affected by Lake Effect Snow, in our region. Northeast Ohio gets more snow than much of the nation and certainly more than southern Ohio. But winters are tolerable, sometimes very colde, sometimes mild, but again, it's about the average. We almost always average out and don't have extended droughts etc.

15. seedspreader

Culture
    Ohio has just about every culture you could want. You want big city plays, ballets, art museums, etc? We have some of the best off broadway theatre districts in the country. Never knew that did you?

again that's wikipedia.

And of course you can still get a good old fashioned church pot luck and ice cream social or the bluegrass festival, and just about every concert tour will come through at least one of the Ohio 3C's.

It's eclectic. The small town culture is alive and well in Ohio, with many cities having centralised squares and gazebos and festivals.

[​IMG]

16. seedspreader

Economics
    Ohio is at an economics crossroads. Most of the jobs are going to be in the northern area of the state, around columbus and around Cincinnati. The South East has a very limited amount of jobs, which is typical for most of appalachia.

Agriculture is still very much an important part of the state, and will be as the state transitions from a gritty, blue collar "steel belt" area to more technologically based workforce. Traditionally ohio has been know for making what stores call "hardline" goods. Actually stuff and not services. As more jobs are shipped overseas, Ohio will have a harder time dealing with the transition. But we are set to face this obstacle in that we have a top university system in the state that seems to be growing. 5 miles from my house they are putting in a local university branch of the University of Akron. It's one of the big development plans for the future to help retrain the local workforce and to keep folks in the area.

In general, the closer to the cities you are the more money you will make, but the higher the cost of land will be. Land in SE ohio can be had fairly cheaply.

Government
    Laws don't tend to be to over domineering in Ohio, and it seems like the ones that make it to the books that are, are fairly often overlooked by most people.

Ohio has average gun laws, they do have CCW laws, many folks aren't happy that local businesses can determine whether to allow you to carry or not, and almost every business has a sign saying it's prohibited. But it's a work in progress and I would imagine that it will be voted on again.

This is the biggest desparity you will see in Ohio: Cities = liberal, Country = conservative, suburbs = grab bag. And as everyone knows it's a close balance. Because of the way the districts are broken up, Ohio on the state level is controlled by the republicans, but it swings back and forth.

So in summary. We are a jack of all trades state. We are average, and I love it.

17. SectorSteve

SectorSteve Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in the Galion area, Ashland actually, but that was afew years ago.
    All in all, Ohio is not a bad place to live. It has just about anything you could want. Like you, I'm sick of the heat and fireants. But, I live in Orlando,FL so we get plenty of rain. I'll be moving back north when I retire in 3 years, just not to Ohio.
    You might want to take a look at the tax burden in Ohio. It can be pretty stiff, compared to other states.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/335.html

18. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We live just outside a small town. No one in our area locks their house or cars, in town or in the country - but then we all own big dogs (we breed great pyrenees and labs) and guns, and we watch out for each other. Some folks believe that country folks are busy bodies but we have found them to be helpful and generous. We also have a guard sheep. No, he doesn't bite but the four horns do scare folks when he goes running to their car before they have a chance to get out. I love the changing seasons. They are so beautiful. In the heat and humidity of summer, I long for the cool crisp days of fall, in winter, it is the spring blossoms that keep me going.
    Gardens thrive here with many options for variety.
    Around here jobs seem to be plentiful - hospitals employ the most of course, Honda has several plants in the area with good pay, and the start of a new plant coming soon. There is also a Ford plant nearby.
    We do have one crazed neighbor but everyone stands with us so it is no problem.
    Our DH just graduated high school in the biggest class of the schools history. A whopping 51 graduates. She did get a good education, lots of personal attention, and good morals and values at school.
    Hope you come to Ohio soon.
    Joanie

19. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

Thank you all for your replies, especially you Zeal Youth Guy. You have giving me alot of information i needed to know. I think we are going to make the leap to Ohio. I just need to check into the job market first.

Thank you,
    Mike

20. kars1995

kars1995 Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in Ohio and as soon as I could.......I ran as fast as I could to get to Texas!! :) Galion....let's see. I lived my most of my young life in Bucyrus about 10 miles or so from/to Galion. (Graduated from Bucyrus in 1985 but went to PJVS in Shelby.) Used to ride my bike to Galion to spend the day with friends. Galion is DEAD job wise. Nothing. Bucyrus isn't too far behind but much better than there. Parents still live in Bucyrus and I only visit when I HAVE to. Although visiting during the Bratwurst Festival is always and incentive. I guess if you lived in the Galion/Crestline area you could find work in Mansfield. My brother is a firefighter/paramedic in Ashland, on the other side of Mansfield. As sad as it seems, I'd live in Bucyrus and day rather than Galion....or for that matter Marion is also a possibility. Could drive to Columbus for work.