Ohio is back on the table

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Zipporah, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Ok They really really want dh to go to Ohio.He was going to take a job here,but they are offering more money and to buy our home so we're thinking maybe we can buy our little plot of land.The job is in Cleveland.So now we need to know what we can buy price wise there and about the area.Tell me if know anything about the area.We're trying to decide if we should go.

2. Zipporah

3. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I'm in central Ohio. Don't know about the Cleveland area. But if you're wanting "homestead-like" land...I do know there are nice rural-feeling areas to the east and slightly south. My cousin has 5 acres about 30 minutes north of 6 flags - or whatever it calls itself now - and the area is partly wooded, partly farmed - lots of space between neighbors.

If you can, I'd go take a trip, and drive around. What part of Cleveland is his job? That city is kinda sprawling - if his job is on the west side, then the area I'm thinking of would make for a downright nasty-long commute.

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I don't live there . . . obviously . . . but here's a few websites you can try -- you will probably get more info than you thought you'd ever find out without going there --

www.realtor.com - that will give you an idea of what real estate is available and how much it is. Don't put in too many limitations -- just a max on the price and maybe one bathroom to be sure it's improved property (otherwise you'll get a bunch of info on unimproved land without buildings etc.) -- don't put in a minimum because you would be surprised what you can find for less than you thought. You will find all kinds of interesting information.

Also type something like "Cleveland, OH" and the word "epodunk" into the Google search engine and you will come up with all sorts of info on Cleveland.

If you then got to www.mapquest.com and put in info to get directions from say Cleveland to Kidron (where Lehman's is - hehehe) and then move the map closer in to see the itty bitty towns around Cleveland, etc. and maybe print them out or make a list of the names in the areas you might like --

Then go back to epodunk and put in those little town names "Orrville, OH," for example, you can find out everything you might want to know about those little towns -- everything from cemeteries to libraries and schools to town offices, etc.

Good luck!

MaryNY

5. SectorSteve

SectorSteve Well-Known Member

It all depends on where the job is physically located. I was born and raised i North Central Ohio, south of Cleveland. Now, my son works in Westlake, which is one of the suburbs west of downtown, but he lives in Loudonville, which is south of Cleveland. He also commutes 1 1/2 hours to get to work. You might want to look look alittle south of Cleveland around Medina and that area , it might not be too bad. But then again, it all depends on where he will be working and how far he wants to drive. Just like everywhere else, the closer to the city, the higher the price and the more they're building.
    Steve

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Depends on where in Cleveland the job is. East side, west side, downtown ? I live on the west side of Cleveland, can give you more info, but need to know where job is located, ie address, & how far you're willing to commute, & how much property you want. East of Cleveland is the snow belt, can make commuting a bit rough.

7. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Have you been here to visit yet? What climate are you coming from? I know from the last thread you found the area completely unappealing, but it really isn't bad at all! You may have noticed that there are quite a lot of Ohio people here on the forum, so there is definately the possibility of homesteading while commuting to Cleveland. Do you want to build or buy a house? How much land to you want? How much snow can you deal with? When we bought our place, we decided how far hubby was willing to commute (I think it was 40 miles when we did it), and circled a forty mile diameter circle on the map around the city that he was working in. Of course, from downtown Cleveland, half of that will be in the lake, so you are limited. :) Then find out which of those areas are rural enough for you (you can ask here) and start looking at real estate. Then come to visit. It's nice here, really!

8. Zipporah

Thanks.The job is around Independence.From what I'm looking at on the price of homes there I can't get what I have here or anything as nice. :shrug: They all look older or smaller.Maybe I need to go out. How is the travel in snow there ? I saw one in Medina.I don't know.We've got to decide.They are willing to buy my home,but I really don't want to get an old home that's a maintenance nightmare or a smaller one. :shrug: Still trying to decide.We may go there house hunting for three days, but I don't know when yet.

9. MelissaW

Hi! From Independence you might try the Newbury, Auburn area if you don't mind snowbelt, and the Mantua, Hiram area if you want a little less snow. Both areas have easy access to the 422 and 480, which are kept in good condition, and lead right in to Independance. I'm not familliar with the towns to the west and south. Anything north of Independance is getting fairly urban. I don't know what your target pricerange is like, or how many acres you require, but here in Portage (with the exception of Aurora, very chi-chi), you can get 2-5 acres with typical 3 bedroom house and some outbuildings for 150-200 thousand, less if you buy an older house or modular. Good luck!

10. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Dh grew up in Newton Falls, not far from Independence. You will be going into the snow-belt. From what I remember of that area the roads don't get plowed until the snow is deeper than 2 FEET!

Could you possibly rent for a while while you get to know the area better? I know that would set you back some but I think it would be the best choice.

Here's a link that might help some:
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Independence-Ohio.html

11. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

There is so much bad press about Cleveland but I think it is a great place. There is so much to see and do there. As far as housing my suggestion would be pick a realtor from realtor.com or suggestions from people who live in the area and have them scope the area out for you. I have lived on Lake Erie for 30 years and enjoy it. The winters are snowy but you learn to drive in it..no big deal as far as I'm concerned. Love the 4 definate seasons and when we get sick of winter we plan a vacation to Florida and that takes care of the winter blues. Summers are seasonable...highs usually around 75-80. Nice growing season. Great falls...the leaves are so beautiful here. Winters again snowy but not too bad most of the time...lows stick to around 20-30. Springs usually feel late in coming but they do eventually get here. Hope some of this helps.

12. MelissaW

Danaus29, my husband drives through Newton Falls on his way to work every day, and the roads there STILL aren't great! :) Portage and Mahoning keep the roads beautiful, but Trumbull is awful! It's still a nice little town, though.

13. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

MelissaW, does your dh go past Andretti Ford in Newton Falls? We were there the day Mario was autographing pictures and other things.

Speaking of road conditions, they don't maintain them much in Trumbull county either. One road we used to travel had more pot holes than road. Now Lake Milton is supposed to be in real good shape. It used to be the worst part of Trumbull but is now the most upscale since they cleaned up the lake.

14. MelissaW

I'll have to ask him if he goes past the Ford dealership. I didn't even know there was an Andretti Ford. Does the racecar driver actually own it? That's cool! He gets on the turnpike there to head out towards Youngstown.

Zipporah, let us know what happened! I figured if you decided to come, it would probably have been today. I wish you could see the area for the first time in summer weather. Winter is nice, but summer is really green and beautiful here!

15. Zipporah

Thanks.We've been looking on the internet at the areas.

16. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Independence and points east get 4-6 times as much snow as points west.
    Medina County (south and west) is a pretty good area to live in. Highland Schools (Granger Twp and Sharon Twp) is consistently at the top of the ratings list for Ohio. Most of the schools in the county are fairly good, though. Do not even consider Elyria if you have children that will be in a public system. Both Granger and Sharon have zoning/planning programs that encourage rural living and agriculture. For instance, when I build an outbuilding, I have to pull a permit but if it's strictly for ag use there's no permit fee or setback restrictions. There was no fee OR size restriction for my farm market sign. Building parcels have to be a minimum of two acres. It's becoming more 'suburban' here, but that's actually good for me - more customers for my pork, chicken and eggs $$$$ LOL The roads here are pretty well maintained and plowed in the winter. Richfield and Hinkley still has some rural sections, but that dirt is probably going to be a bit higher. Plus that area is a geographic/meteorological anomaly and almost always gets 30-50% more snow than the surrounding areas. Medina County property taxes are higher than the surrounding counties, but not that much and we have very good public services & schools.

Out of Medina county I can't help much. Columbia Station and Valley City are still pretty rural but I don't know about the schools. If you consider Valley City, I can find out - my butcher has lived there for quite some time.

Where are you folks moving from?

17. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Bill,

Good post. Columbia Station area is getting real pricey and is getting suburban real fast. Personally, I'd recommend against it if someone is a homesteading type.

Mike

18. Zipporah

TN.

19. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

DH and I just moved from there. (His job.) We were only there 2 years, but we loved it. It has already been mentioned that the area gets a lot of bad press, but we thought it was a wonderful place to live, IF you have a job.

We were out in Geauga County, which is east-northeast of Independence. Gorgeous area, but it's in the snow belt. It snows at least a little bit almost daily. Pretty, if you like snow. (I do.) We were also a few miles away from Amish communities, and I enjoyed the bulk stores, auctions, etc. out around Middlefield.

However, he'd be commuting on 480, which can get backed up, but not as bad as a lot of other metropolitan areas do.

You might try looking southwest of Independance. I'm not terribly familiar with the area, but you should be able to find things out Medina way.

Ironically enough, our old place is still for sale. (The relo company bought us out.) 11 1/2 acres with a pole barn, mostly wooded with about 4 acres open for pasture. Post and beam house, open floorplan, 3 bedrooms (office could be a 4th good-sized bedroom), 1st floor master suite, 2.5 attached finished garage, full basement that is framed and wired to be finished. Great school district, but you pay for it in taxes. Reasonably quiet chip-sealed road. Long driveway, so you're back in the woods off the road. Land is wet. Sump pump in basement must be kept operational as a result. Great wildlife areas and fishing nearby. (Thousands of acres of gov't protected land, that can be hunted by permit and some areas open for shore fishing or boats w/electric motors - Find LaDue Reservior on a map; 422 crosses it.) Can you tell we loved it? But we had to go; DH's job left town, and there was nothing to replace it if we stayed. The real estate market has been AWFUL there, so we took it in the shorts when we had to sell it. And the relo company is going to feel even more pain. You could get it for a great price, for the area. (We've joked that we should try to buy it back and sit on it.) PM me if you want the address of our old place so you can look up the listing.

Diana