Ohio Homesteading

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Oct 18, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hello everyone,

I am new here (big suprise, guess NO ONE starts their posts that way here... ;) ) and just wanted to find out how many ACTIVE posters there are that homestead in Ohio. Having lived in the O most of my life, I don't know that I would want to live elsewhere. I have travelled extensively but Ohio is just a great place to hang the hat. But is it a great place to hang the straw-brimmed homesteaders hat is the question I have to ask!

So how about it? How many are here and live and homestead in Ohio NOW and of course anyone from Ohio knows the next question... how many USED to live in Ohio. Everywhere I travel, when someone asks "Where are you from?" and I answer Ohio.... I always get someone who says... "I used to live in Ohio". :haha:

Are there any such things as homesteading associations? You know where regional homesteaders get together? Anything like that in N.E. Ohio?

Ok, probably too many Ohio-centric questions.

Oh... I am here...
    [​IMG]

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana: Don't live in Ohio, never have and never plan too! Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and let you know that there are some who do live there so be patient and you will surely get some good answers! Kathleen

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Greetings from Ohio! We live in northern Stark County and used to live in Ashland County. We only moved over here for my hubby's job. We will move back to Ashland when he retires (hopefully in 12 years or so...when he is 52). My family owns lots of acreage there and I will be inheriting 100 acres from my parents. All that to say that no, we don't really homestead. I now have chickens (on our 2 acres), we have a big garden and I make everything from scratch including laundry detergent.

Someday I'll convince my hubby that we don't HAVE to have indoor plumbing and electricity to survive, but I think it's going to take a while. I just need to get him interested in reading all of those Countryside magazines I have in every room of the house!

4. seedspreader

Thanks for the welcome... and NEVER say NEVER... you could end up in Ohio... LOL

5. seedspreader

Ah, a fellow Buckeye...

I guess my question would be... do you REALLY have to give up indoor plumbing and electricity to be a homesteader? Doesn't that just make you AMISH? ;) And being from Ashland, you would know a little about that. I was looking at land in Ashland but alas, God, the church, and these youth I work with won't let me leave Medina County... But I think I may have found a place although it will be more costly.

6. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

ZealYouthGuy,

I'm north of you in Cuyahoga County (Strongsville). We have an inholding in the metroparks. We also have a farm in Carroll County.

Mike

7. seedspreader

Hey Mike

Tell me more about your inholdings and your farm in Caroll... how often do you get to it? Are you doing anything to market any of your goods in N.E. Ohio?

8. Teri

Teri Well-Known Member

I'm an Ohioan, too. I was born in Delaware County (north of Columbus). My husband and I have lived all over the country in our 21 years of marriage, but we came back to Ohio to settle down and raise our 7 kids. We live in rural Harrison County and try to homestead as much as we can on our 1 1/2 acres. Lots of friendly folks in these parts. It's a great place to live.

God Bless,
    Teri

9. mammabooh

You sound like my hubby. When I tell him how I'd like to live he repiles "I don't wanna be a pioneer!" (in sort of a little whiny voice to make it even funnier). Heck, ya, I know a lot about the Amish. They are all over Ashland (so are the road apples).

I would like it very much if my hubby could stay home with us full time (we've been married for 16 years and actually still like being around each other)...that's why I would be willing to give up luxuries like electricity and plumbing.

10. seedspreader

So Mamma... do you live IN Ashland now? Oh, and one other thing... I take it you are willing to live without internet then? (OH NO... IS THAT POSSIBLE?) :D

11. SectorSteve

SectorSteve Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I was born in Ashland, Ohio. Raised in Loudonville, Ohio. Left for the Navy when I was 18. (A short 33 years ago. ) During my 20 years in the Navy, I saw alot of different places. I now live in Florida and to be perfectly honest, I would rather take a beating than go back to Ohio. Just look at the job market in Ashland County and the surrounding area.

12. mammabooh

Nope, we're near Massillon. We will be back to Ashland (see my first post on this thread) in a few years.

Yep, I would be perfectly happy to turn off the computer tomorrow and never touch one again.

13. seedspreader

Not to sure about the job market in Ashland, but I have never had a problem finding a job in the area. I am glad you are happy with Florida, I feel much the same way about FL as you do about OH. Great place to visit... wouldn't want to live there.

14. quietperson

quietperson Well-Known Member

Hi fellow Buckeye!!!! Logan County here, booming downtown Quincy, population 650 if everybody is home for dinner and there are no fire runs. Can't really say we're homesteading concerning we live "in town", but definitely like the principles of it and we do our best to "take care of our own".

Welcome aboard!!

Barb

15. seedspreader

Ah, Quincy sounds good! With the sparse population and the less expensive land is there anyone who knows about homesteading in the South East of Ohio in the Appalachia Foothills?

16. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

I lived in both Allen and Hardin counties when I went to law school in Ada, Ohio. Northwest Ohio for those of you who have never heard of it. Home to Wilson Footballs. Basically the middle of the corn and soybean fields. Loved it there and miss it terribly this time of year. Well, actually, I miss it from May through December. Jan thru April, I only miss it a little. :)

I wouldn't mind moving back one day.

Welcome.
    Connie

17. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

I am too old to be new, quess you might call me a re,run. I am in Vinton county, in the Southeast part of the state. Be careful not to believe everything that gets posted about the Amish. We have had several families move in near us in the last year or so. Most all of them have plumbing in the house. The county even agitated one of them into putting in 2 septic tanks. I quess having 10 children does create a steady flow.

My wife and I have been on our homestead for 16 years. Now we are both over 60, and strong suggestions have been made about bringing the plumbing inside. I think it will be o.k. to try to keep up with the Amish neighbors.

18. seedspreader

One of the coldest times I remember myself being was in NW Ohio. It was during college and I was on the Track and Field team... (the field portion as I am a large man and don't run unless I am afraid for my life...LOL) We were at a meet in March at Bowling Green. Holding a 16lb shot put (all steel) and the wind and openess of the fields.... holy smokes was I cold... brrr.

Thanks for the welcome.

19. DOlthaus

DOlthaus Well-Known Member

We live in Butler county, near Oxford, and I have always believed I am the homesteader type. We do have electric and running water and, obviously, a computer. We have 13 acres, two barns, 15 hens and a rooster. Sometimes we have horses. Ours in boarded with friends so my daughter can take lessons. I have a relatively new-to-me 1941 9N Ford that I'm still learning quirks about. I have had about a 1/4 acre garden for the last 8 or 10 years and started selling some produce at the roadside last year. Haven't made much but I really haven't tried very hard either. Just put out what I can't use myself.

Always learning new things and trying to be more self sufficient.

20. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

Welcome from Northern Tuscarawas Co. I'm south of Canton some 12mi. or so. I'm not quite homesteading yet but I have a good start on it. I am off grid and collect rain water and stuff.. Check out my pics.. I do a lot of work in Medina Co. with the company I work for. I cover several counties in N.E. Ohio..