Ohio hatcheries

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

Someone had previously mentioned a hatchery in Ohio that I think started with "M" but I can't remember what it was called. Anyone know?

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I think it might be Meyer's, Melissa. You might ask ZealYouthGuy. I think he bought some straight from the hatchery awhile back. :)

3. CountryBeth

CountryBeth Well-Known Member

Murray McMurray's. (edited: oops, I see they are from Iowa. Sorry.)

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you thinking Mount Healthy Hatchery?? There in Ohio. And reported to have decent birds.

5. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We buy everything from Ridgeway Hatcheries in LaRue Ohio. We have had great luck with them and been very happy with our chicks, turkeys and ducks. They carry a few other birds but I have not bought any.
    I do know there is a Mt. Healthy hatchery 14 miles North of Cincinatti on Rt. 127. I have never gotten birds from there, but have heard some good things about them. Our local TSC store gets their chicks in the spring from Mt. Healthy.
    Joanie

6. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

Meyer Hatchery is in Polk, OH.

7. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Melissa,
    I got my broilers last year from Meyer.

We were going to pick them up at the hatchery but that's when gas prices went crazy and decided it was cheaper to have them shipped. We were very happy with them ... they all arrived alive and were all healthy and had no defects as have been discussed on the boards with broilers. Meyer Hatchery was good to deal with and will deal with them again.

8. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I thought you meant fish hatcheries at first...lol....

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Yup, that's the one, great place, great people.

10. jimarh

jimarh Well-Known Member

we go to Mt Healthy hatchery in Cincinnati . Good place. I don't know about the shipping since we live close enough to pick our's up but they have been in business since 1926 and have healthy birds. We have bought from them for over thirty years with no problems.

11. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

I love Meyer Hatchery. We only live about 40 minutes away, so we generally pick up our chicks (and we've gotten started pullets, too.). They are wonderful to deal with, birds are healthy, no health problems.

I did get a batch from Mt. Healthy and 2 chicke died when they were around 3 weeks old from seizures. No idea what was wrong with them.

12. Melissa

Melissa member

Meyer is the one I was thinking about. A friend and I want to split a batch of Americaunas and I wanted to check on the price. They are cheaper than McMurray's too.

13. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

I can't say I'd reccommend them for Americaunas. I ordered 24 chicks (all pullets) but got 16 pullets and 8 cockerels. 3 of the pullets died within a month. These are definately Easter Eggers. Some of them didn't have the "beards", and not a single one of them lays blue eggs, just green. I was ignored when I e-mailed a "what's up with this?".