Ohio CAUV article

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Ohio, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

2. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mike. I pick up a copy of this paper occasionally at a local gas station. We enjoy a lot of the articles and such, tho we are in SE Ohio. Would love to attend some of those huge auctions with a truckload of cash :haha: (wouldn't we all? ) I bookmarked the site to spend some time reading later. thanks again.......Margo

3. Mike in Ohio

Sometimes you don't need that boatload of cash. I like to go to the larger (as in the sense of lots of items and lots) auctions because there are always a few things that are what I call "orphans". They just don't attract any interest and you can pick them up cheap. I try to look ahead at all the projects on my list.

For example, it might be a pile of cinderblocks. Or a couple of lengths of large diameter plastic pipe (great for culverts on the trails cut through our woods....instead of driving through where water drains or there is runoff from a small spring).

You can also pick up hand tools cheap at these auctions. Pretty much all our shovels, hoes, pitchforks, sledge hammers, handsaws, pickaxes, etc (pretty much think of whatever handtools you can think of) have been bought at auction.

Sometimes I'll go with a budget of $50 and figure I'll enjoy the time at the auction watching people bid.

Mike

4. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

Thanks, Mike. I have been meaning to look into CAUV. This article answered a lot of my questions. :)

Diana
    in NE Ohio

5. Mike in Ohio

Diana,

Take the time to speak with your county auditor (or the person in their office that does the inspections). If you are seriously trying to farm (and jsut getting started) they can show some flexibility. If they set their mind against you it can get real painful.

Our first year they were somewhat skeptical because there aren't any commercial beekeepers in our county. With a few years under our belt they know me as "the bee guy". I'm sure they think I'm a little strange but they helped me work out how to fill in the form for the last parcel we bought. We got it mainly for the barns (it's only 5 acres) but they said to just call it 5 acres of hay pasture.

Mike