Oh where have all the Nubians gone...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lynpea, Aug 9, 2006.

1. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

I live in SW VA. and I am having a hard time finding some healthy Nubian does. Seems like this breed has fallen out of favor with breeders. We had them years ago and there were plenty of them then. I guess even the goat world follows "trends." La Mancha's seem to be the thing now, and a big surprise for me, "minimancha's" and "mininubians"! What a hoot!..............lynpea

2. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

We are a low-fat society now.

Maybe that's why.

I have a Nubian doe, buck, and doeling. Not for sale though. There are some around.

Try the ADGA search for Nubian breeders in your area.

3. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Yeah, there's only one Nubian known to me around my area, but he's an enormous wether named Ernie. He's cool, but he's the only one. I wouldn't even know where to start looking, if it were me...

4. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

Ernie sounds cool! Good luck with your search. Here is my big Nubian/Lamancha wether, Rex:
    [​IMG]

5. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

:shrug: I have already tried the ADGA breeders lists and the VSDGA too... I'm still trying....lynpea

6. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

Probably just your area? We have a small herd of Nubians, (10) and a lady about an hour away has a bigger (20-30 does alone) 'showing' herd. We only have a buckling and wether for sale at the moment . . . I have yet to see La Manchas in our area, Boers are the big here.

7. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

here are some others (by Google search)

http://www.goatfinder.com/nubian_goat_directory.htm#VA

and here is the listing for VA

I reckon us goat folks are just quiet (although Nubians are 'talkers')

RUNNING RIVER RANCH
    Peter & Patricia Houchin
    Patrick Springs, Virginia 24133
    highnrg2@aol.com Ships Goats = YES

*********************************************************************************

NEWLAND NUBIANS
    Catherine Sizer
    RR 1 Box 1180 New Castle, Virginia 24127
    owner@newlandnubians.com PH: 540 864-5340

*********************************************************************************

LOVE-R-GOATS
    Ann & Joann Freeman
    Saint Charles, Virginia 24282
    lrgfarmva@centralpets.com PH: 276 383-4201 Ships Goats = YES

BRIAR PATCH FARM
    1591 Forge Road Lexington, Virginia 24450
    petjunky@yahoo.com PH: 540 261-8047 Ships Goats = NO

BRAMBLEBERRY FARM
    Fincastle, Virginia 24090
    blueridgegoats@aol.com Ships Goats = NO

8. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

There are lots of Nubian breeders out there. You can order one now for in the Spring or if some have late births there may be some available now.
    Some of them frequent this forum so just hang in there and read. :)
    I prefer Alpines now and I drove half way accross the USA to get one this Spring. He is definately worth it.
    We injoyed the trip and it was a vacation trip but it would probably be cheaper to have your goat flown in. I know it doesn't sound that way but we probably spent a grand just in gas and motel rooms to go get him. ( that included the cost of the goat).

9. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

10. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe part of the problem is the time of year. I sold all the goats I wanted to sell months ago, and won't sell any more until after kiddings again. (Well, I might sell one to a friend, but only because she's a friend.)
    mary

11. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Milking Nubians are dear right now. A first freshener in my area sold for $500 she is only milk a quart a day, (she couldn't win herself out of a paperbag :) airplane ears...yep she is half Alpine...no papers, untested! Folks are crazy for goatmilk in Houston, some up to $12 per gallon, so anything milking with even an airplane ear...is just crazy money! We expect the price to stick right around there for anything Nubian at all least until spring, I have more deposits for kids and first fresheners for spring, than any year before. So Nubians are alive and well in Texas. Vicki

12. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Have you tried AGS?

Niki

13. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

Here in S.E minnesota I haven't seen many nubians as well....used to be all kinds of them.....Around here the popular breeds are Saanan, Alpine and Boer....Theres a dairy plant buying goat milk in the area...I suppose people figure the saanans and alpines produce more....

14. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

There are Nubians in my area. I have a gorgeous Nubian doe...but I won't be buying anymore. I love the Nubians, but in our extreme cold the Alpines and Nigerians Dwarfs do the best.

I do have about 6 Nubian crosses that are MOSTLY Nubian. With enough Alpine in them to give them some hardiness. I have 4 Airplane Eared girls too...I think it is adorable! Of course, I don't show my goats so it doesn't matter. I have a LaMancha/Nubian cross who is the ultimate in good looks, personality and elegance. She has elf ears.

I read a chart in one of those vet books everyone recommends that you get of you are serious about goats. I forget right now which one it was. It detailed every breed of goat and various crosses and had a percentage of what each one got the most of every type of health problem a goat could get. The purebred Nubians had by far the highest percentage of problems of any of the breeds and crosses. The Nubian crosses were very hardy though.

15. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Oh my... thanks everyone for your replies, BIG thanks to Gailann, I had tried Google, many times, but you did include a couple I had missed! I have purchased a dry yearling from Newland Nubians and am waiting to get her home.

We had Nubians about 10 years ago, seven girls that milked about 8-9 lbs a day, and they never had any health probs. They were big sturdy ladies, not like what I am seeing now. One of my girls I know was about 175lbs and had good strong legs. Most of what I am looking at now are more "elfin" kinda frail looking. The doe that I bought is out of a Longman buck and they are a little more sturdier.

I'll keep looking. $500.00 fro a qt, a day milker?? YIKES. Why is goat milk so dear in the Houston area?...........lynpea

16. AshleyB

AshleyB Well-Known Member

lynpea, which yearling did you purchase from Newland?

17. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

I'm a little (???) south of you sitting here in South Carolina (near the N. Carolina border). We have 3 registered nubians, but didn't appear in the ADGA book because we were late sending in renewal money for this year's printing. We plan on breeding our three girls this fall. Any babies will be for sale next spring unless I just fall in love with all of them. (this probably will happen!)
    - Kathy

18. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

AshleyB- I bought Dapple and I am trying to locate one or two more.

MimmyJ.- Is your doe CAE neg.? Thankfully Dapple's test came back neg........lynpea

19. AshleyB

AshleyB Well-Known Member

Lynpea, Dapple sure is a pretty one, she looks promising too! I was thinking of getting one or two of Newland's yearlings, that's why I asked.
    I live in Louisa county, there was a registered Nubian doe available in the Trading Post a few weeks ago. If you'd like the phone number listed, I can pm it to you, I don't know if she's still available though. The Trading Post is for the central VA area.