Oh the things you will see... (auction report)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Apr 3, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hey all,

Just an update on the big "machinery" auction at kidron that we went to. (We being Mike in Ohio, me, my buddy Pat (good people) and my mom and dad)

Pat picked up a three comb honey extractor for 5.00 (hmmm, now I wish I wouldn't have told him I wouldn't bid on it ;)) amongst many other things. We (me and parents) bought between us, pine t&g paneling, a wire basket chocked full of joist hangers and other various fasteners, a small turkey/pig feeder that you fill with about 25 lbs of feed and turn an agitator to drop more food, a big metal table (don't ask, my Pops just wanted it), 3 gates 10, 8, and 6 foot and... hmmm what else? Oh yeah, a Hay Wagon, that I am just tickled pink to have gotten. I will post pics later of that.

Some of the craziness I saw: A 4000 watt craftsman "alternator" that had a pulley that you hook up to an engine... basically a "power head" for a do it yourself generator, that I was bidding on went for 220.00 (way too much for something you aren't SURE works IMO), Apple trees, anywhere from 40 - 60 bucks each, an 8 foot sugar maple for 50.00, a small stainless rolling tray for 45.00 (one that Pat and I bid against each other unknowingly LOL).

The thing that confounded me the most was the pig feeders, they had some nice one ton 12 hole feeders in perfect shape... they went for 50 - 75 dollars... but the 200 lb 4 hole feeder went for 180.00 The guy who won it told me he raises pigs for 4-h... LOL, too funny, scale economics in motion I guess.

I will leave the big suprise of what Mike bought up to him!

Next year, I go in like a commando... I am going to have teams to be at all the separate auctioneers sites... and I am bringing ANTI-Amish spray to scare away all those bidders!

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I have to admit the auction was a doozy. I thought ZYG was being overly aggressive in getting there so early. Next time I'll bring the coffee. They were parked right across the street from Lehmans. I ended up parking by the school about a mile down the road. The field where they normally have people park was too muddy.

Next time I'm bidding against you on gates <G>....

It was kind of amusing watching Pat and ZYG bid against each other. Was even funnier when I realized they weren't doing it intentionally. Reminds me of the time I was at an auction and somebody in the back was bidding furiously against me. I dropped out and let them have it. Then DW came up and asked me for some money to pay for the item.

I already gave it away in Daily Journal on CF. I bought 180 plastic buckets. They were auctioning them in stacks of 10. The auctioneer started at $10 and then dropped it to $5. I jumped in and bid $5. Seeing as there were a lot of folks looking at them earlier I think they figured I would take one stack and then they could swoop in and get them cheaper. I took em all. I had several folks come up and ask me if I'd be willing to sell some. Nope.... now we have plenty of buckets for nut season (the kind that fall off trees, not the other kind.)

I'm going to have to show up just to watch the show.

3. meangreenie

meangreenie Well-Known Member

Hey Ohio guys!! Anybody near Carroll county? Sounds like you got some good deals. I have never been to an auction but really want to go to one. Any good ones that you know of in my area? I need one of everything!

4. Mike in Ohio

Our farm is in Carroll County. Garner Auction on Canyon Road is having a consignment auction this coming weekend. Their auctions are usually pretty good. The auction is Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If you get in touch with Garner they can tell you what is scheduled for which day.

There's also that place North of Carrollton on Route 9 (I'm brain farting and can't remember their name). They have a monthly consignment auction the first Saturday of the month.

Mike

5. meangreenie

Thanks Mike! I am not to far from Canyon road (Kilgore area) You wouldn't happen to know anything about the farmer's market in town, like where it is gonna be? I don't like that new dollar general store much, too bright. I guess it is better than a Walmart. We (dh and I ) moved here from Stark county two years ago. I love the hometown feel here and hope it stays this way for awhile.

6. Mike in Ohio

As far as I know the farmers market will still be in the parking lot where the new dollar general store is.

7. meangreenie

Wow your quick, again thanks-aundrea

8. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Auctions are funny things. Sometimes it's worth it to go just for the entertainment value. My favorite are the guys who have obviously not done their homework, and buy a beat-up used item for 20% more than they could have purchased it new.

Wayne

9. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Hey...are you the same aundrea that I've been chatting with over at IDigMyGarden.com?

10. seedspreader

Actually I was going to ask if you could start working on devolping the ANTI-Amish spray... :nana:

11. meangreenie

Hey mamma, that's me! aka Greencap, I wanted to be greencap here also but something happened during registration, so I am meangreenie (i was grumpy that day :) good to see you here. I can't get out of here, there is so much to read! We got a tornado watch here today, I hope we are luckier then the poor folks in tennesse and missouri were yesterday. Have a good day mamma! Hee-he-he Anti-amish spray.

12. Mike in Ohio

I don't need to develop it.....I just raise my arms and flap em around a bit. Seems to drive everyone away.

Besides, I know you just want to drive em away so they won't outbid you on the wringer washers.

Mike

13. seedspreader

Egads, I can't believe that one went for over $400.00 bucks...