Oh the joy!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ed in S. AL, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

They started clearing the other acre of my land this afternoon. Got most of it done, except cutting out the big trees. Going to have so much more room now to work with. Now it's time to get to work again. The homestead is going to really grow now.

2. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

have fun!--->crops or animals??

3. Ed in S. AL

Both. Get to add my pigs and goats now. Going to be building new pens for all the animals. Also going to be moving all of my blueberries and citrus trees to a new area, and have them in a little orchard now. Going to plant the Pennington Rack Master deer plot seed for the geese, ducks, and chickens to enjoy.

Scared the poor young feller doing the clearing today. He knocked over 3 fence post along the back fence line today. He came and told me about them. So I handed him the post hole diggers, and told him to get busy. Was just kidding him. Got another hundred post laying out back. Not worried about losing 3. LOL

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Ed you lucky man- you have someone else to clear your land for you! I am jealous indeed. We have forty mountain acres heavily timbered with pine and fir and we are very very slowly (like 6 months a year) clearing out the trees to make room for other stuff. I voted for just hiring a big big bulldozer and having him clear a few acres for my orchard and such but lost the battle with "and do what with all that tree stuff?" So each year we cut out and make firewood and put the leftover stuff ( a whole bunch) into giant slash piles that we burn during the winter. What a giant pain in the back!

5. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

Ed, I need to have this done, too. What type of company/person did you look for? I don't know where to look in the phone book. Would it be grading, lot clearing, or what? Thanks.

6. Ed in S. AL

My place is 2 acres. Most of it was thick underbrush. Have a lot of big oaks on it as well. Most of them are coming out. All but about 6 trees. They are a landscaping company, and are using a bobcat with several front end attachments. One has a big saw blade that cuts all the little stuff down to ground level. Then they will come in and saw the big trees out by hand, leaving me the big logs I want for firewood. Grind all the stumps. Everything else will be run through a mulcher. Then they will be running a rootrack through the whole place, and then leveling it all out. They cut me a nice path between me and the couple that live behind me. Neighbor told me I could put my beehives I'm wanting over on their property. Just needed to clear a path. Got a good deal for $1,300. Everyone else that came out to look at it, wanted $2,500 to $3,500 to just shove it up in a big wind row. It's looking real good so far.

Once they get this done today, it will be time to start pouring footing for my room additions. Lined up a block layer yesterday. All the building will be done by me. Running out of room real quick in the house, since we adopted the girls. The wife wants the rooms done by Thanksgiving. Then it will be on to finishing up fencing the place in, and getting new pens and housing built for all the birds and animals.

Guess I'll have to stop being lazy.