Oh the humanity. My tomatoes are split.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by FeralFemale, Sep 13, 2006.

1. FeralFemale

FeralFemale Bitter Clinger

No, they aren't undecided. They are split. Dh says it's because they got a lot of water all at once (dry summer, followed by the remnents of Ernesto and a few cool (60 deg at night, 70 day) days. Some have healed but others, the ones we didn't get to right away, have become home for bugs. All is not lost. We are still getting tomatoes.

Is this true? Did they burst from too much water at one time? Doesn't that just mean that we weren't watering them enough during the summer?

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Inconsistent watering will certainly cause tomatoes to split. So will excessive watering. It's been raining for days and days here, and I know that there are many tomatoes out in the garden right now that are in the process of splitting, but I hate to handle the plants when they're wet.

Of course, it IS the end of the season (or close to it). I suppose I could just go out and pick them to save what I can... I was consistent in my watering over the Summer, but I can't control the rain.

To answer your question: Yes, your DH is correct.

Pony!

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Our plan of attack was to pick as many as we could before the big rains this year - we use soaker hoses but you can't get a plant ready for the type of rains we had this summer! So each time a big rain was forecast we went out and picked any tomato that even looked like it was turning red, we then ripened those indoors. It worked very well except for my kitchen looking like a packing shed.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Theoretically I have another couple of months before I have to worry about rain or frost. You guys rushing your globes off the bush have my sympathy.

5. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm starting to not like you! lol

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Some varieties are going to crack no matter what you do. It's sort of a trade-off for if you want tender thin skins or tough thick skins. 5 determinate canner-paste types haven't had a split yet despite wettest August on record. Finding a perfect fruit among some nice sauce types is a bit rare right now. As long as they are clean splits and the bugs haven't gotten in, no problem.

Martin