Oh No!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MWG, Aug 31, 2006.

1. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I just got back from feeding the chickens and a storm went through last night. Seems it was a bad one because a lot of my corn is laying down. Is corn smart enough to right itself? I picked most of the big ones up and packed more dirt around them... Is this something to be worried about? It is the second planting so they are about 2-3 feet tall.

Thanks in advance!

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Anything you do to help the corn back upright will increase production. Oftentimes, the corn is not able to re-right itself but will start to grow vertically (or towards the sun) from its laying down position.

3. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Thanks! I will go fix the rest of them...

4. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Alright! I just put 160 ears in the freezer... Some of the ones that were knocked over didn't make it and some had ears near the ground, but that sure is some pretty corn!

(160 in the freezer and we ate close to 40)

5. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Nice update - it's good to know how that went for you. Makes it easier to decide what to do if it happens to me next year. Thanks for the post, and I'm glad it turned out so successfully for you.

6. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Way to go. Glad it worked out so well.

7. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I had proped most of it back up. I would say that it needed to be upright to grow correctly... If it happens again, I will spend the time to prop it back up!

Problem is that it was on the small side. Some of the ears were about half the size of normal corn you would buy in the store. HOWEVER.... it sure was good! A whole lot better than what you can get in the store and it was yellow corn. I can only imagine what fresh silver queen tastes like. Can't wait for next spring!

8. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I usually prop it back up,if I can...tamp the dirt around it the best I can,sometimes it doesn't work. Geez,I hate to see corn waste,lol.
    Fresh Silver Queen. Oh,it's the best....If you ever want to sell corn,go for the Silver Queen. It sells out everytime. :)