oh my!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by caroline00, Sep 18, 2006.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I have always wanted a milk cow. WE do have a couple of milk goats so milking twice a day is already habit...

Now we are finally getting one... she will be delivered tomorrow... so why do I have more than a tad bit of fear right now? Is that normal?

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

A little trepidation about a new experience is certainly normal. Don't let it worry you too much, though. I'm sure you'll do fine.

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

:) I hope you have a big Family. The milk from two goats is a bunch but not compared to the milk from one cow. :)
    The good side is you can make really good butter. I tried with my goat milk but couldn't get it to work and when I tried some goat butter from someone else I found out I don't like it.
    Fresh cow butter is something else. Yummmmmm!

4. caroline00

Thanks! WE have 5 children, a sow with 6 babies and a bottle calf. I also enjoy making cheese and butter.

WE had been buying 40+ gallons a month and never had enough milk...

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

:goodjob: You will do just fine. Just make it a point to move slowly and deliberately about her and do not raise your voice excessively. If you do not startle her or bother her with loud noises, things will go better. If you find yourself awash in milk, you can always pick up a few :1pig: :1pig: :1pig: and turn it into delicious pork!

6. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

So what Kinda Cow and how's she settling in? GOT PICS? :)

7. caroline00

Thanks for asking.

She arrived this morning. WE ended up unloading her in the road and walking her way back to her yard. She came with us without hesitation. I have been going there morning and evening to milk for the last 3 or 4 days.

She doesnt readily come to be led so we have her in a smaller dry lot with hay until she knows our routine and then we will let her out in our probobly inadequately fenced pasture. She doesnt seem to want to go anywhere. She hasnt tried any of our fences yet.

When we're home, we tether our steer to graze but I dont think we have anything that will hold her if she decides not to be tethered.

She stood pretty well for milking. WE had to give her a bit of extra grain in order to finish but she was pretty patient with us. We are still slow (cows are a lot different than goats.)

Of the 2 cows for sale, she was the more difficult to milk (firmer udder) but she was younger and they saw her being bred. They havent even seen the other cow cycle yet this year but they did get her sold too.