Oh my!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gryndlgoat, Jun 11, 2006.

1. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

I know you who have Nubians are always saying how wonderful their milk is. Well, I'm a believer now!

I finally got my part-Nubian doe to stand on the milkstand long enough to milk her out (just sold her baby so she is full of milk and more than eager to be milked when that udder gets full!). Holy cow (or is that GOAT?) is her milk GOOD!!! Completely different look and taste than my Saanen (whose milk is very good) and even filters differently.

A goat that gives me COFFEE CREAM! Too cool! I guess I will be on the lookout for a purebred Nubian in the future...

2. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We love our nubian's milk. I don't get much for cream, but enough milk for the family. With my second one just kidding, I will have milk now until January and then again starting March 1st-ish. I can't wait!

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

LOL! If you REALLY want a goat who gives you coffee cream, get a Kinder goat! I just took a couple of jars of milk out of the refrigerator that each had at least an inch of cream on them!

Kathleen

4. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I was getting that from my Saanen her last couple of months of lactation. :dance: I have been milking my Nubian cross now for a couple of weeks and so far, maybe a 1/4 inch of cream on top. Of course, we're not getting the same amount as the Saanen was giving, so it's not sitting in the fridge for as long. Maybe if I could leave it for 2-3 days . . . Her output is very erratic too, so far. One day, I'll get over a litre at the morning milking, the next day, only 700 ml (she's separated from her kid at the same time every night). :shrug: It does seem to be a "one day on, one day off" thing. The Saanen was like that too, only not to the same extent - every other day was a lesser amount.