Oh I hope someone can HELP

Discussion in 'Goats' started by malickfarms, Jul 11, 2006.

1. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

I had posted yesterday regarding my baby boar who is 11 weeks, who has had stiff back legs for the past few days.

Vet has her on Penicillian--for infection

Someone told me today she could be lacking Phosphorus? I noticed she had been eating dirt lately and a friend told me that is a sign of her lacking that and that is why she is so stiff.

Now, what can I do..I know calcium is needed for phosphorus, correct?

How can I give her phosphorus?

Oh Please help--hoping someone can give me some advice once again!

--April

2. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

Is your area low in Selenium? Selenium defieciency can look like that.

We had a kid develop stiff joints, and run a fever...the vet said it was an infection that settled in the joints. Put him on Banamine for the fever and pain and Naxcel for the infection...said penn wouldn't touch it. It took two rounds to bring it under control...

3. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Pica (eating dirt) and general lack of thrift is also a sign of a salt deficiency...

I am pulling for her...Keep us updated.

Jennifer

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, selenium deficiency can lead to white muscle disease where the back legs are stiff and then become totally paralyzed.

5. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

She doesnt want anything to do with a salt block--We gave her a vitamin B complex shot today and I think it helped a little bit--I also gave her some baking soda tonight, someone told me to do that also. At this point I just want to make her better.

As I mentioned before she is on 3cc's of Penicillian twice a day--said he wanted to treated it aggressivly.

Yes, my area is low in Selenium, but I have a salt block with it & she has been given BO-C shot --at birth and at 11 weeks. The breeder said she gives it to all new kids.

6. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

Does she have loose goat minerals available free choice? That could help her. Also you mentioned giving her a Vit B shot - we usually give it orally. If she is eating dirt she is missing something in her diet - I have never seen a goat eat dirt. Of course I have mostly "prissy" dairy goats, but can't even imagine our Boers doing that either.

Debbie

7. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Goats do seem to do better with loose minerals than with a block.
    mary

9. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Buckwheat is a decent way to get phosphoroyus from the soil into the plants that the animals graze. Phosphorous, calcium and selenium must be balanced in the diet in order for the animal to benefit. just supplementing one, woithout knowing the availability of the others is a waste of effort, time, and money.

so, perhaps the Bose onjection for the selenium, coupled with some potato skins or bananas, cut up oranges =whatever vegetable foods that are high in phosphoroius, will be beneficial.
    diversity in the diet will help improve your pasture fertility and nutrient level, so that over time, the pasturage actually becomes self supporting!

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Very young kids will sometimes nibble and lick on dirt even if they do have mineral, its a curiousity thing, not a deficiency. Kids will try/taste *anything* which is why it is so important to keep the kid area clean. Now, if its an older kid(month old or older) or an adult licking the dirt.....certainly a deficiency.

11. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Goats need to have loose mineral, ALWAYS. They can have the blocks to lick on, but they have to have the loose mineral. The reason is, the goats would have to lick the block for a very long time to get the minerals they need. So if they licked the block long enough to get what they need, they would wear a hole in their tongue. I have both loose and the blocks for my animals. The goats will go and get a mouth full and walk away chewing on the mineral.