Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy holding that baby in the pic must have been a midget. She is TINY TINY TINY. Her name is Gracie. She rode home in my friend's lap, curled up quiet as you please.

So the only bottle I could find on short notice was a Gerber. Is a latex nipple ok? I cut the hole a bit bigger (not much). I tried to give her milk, but not good enough-I had to warm it up first, then she ate 3 ounces. I had to keep squirting it out at ******, he was apparently bottle fed and was sticking his nose in the enclosure licking like mad. She cuddled on my lap and drank, then curled up like she was going to nap. I wish I had the time to have held her afterwards, but I digress.

In light of how small she is, we set up an enclosure in the stall to keep her seperate from ****** (he is 10 months old and really playful). He seemed to be gentle with her during introductions, but then he started pawing and doing that thing they do where they rear up but don't actually hit? I'll have to be very careful until she gets some size. They can see and smell each other, but he can't get to her.

I might need immediate help here...we weren't able to get straw today so I laid a bunch of sweet soft hay in there...and she has been eating it and eating it. Do I need to take it out and try something else for tonight? Will she eat too much?

I know she should still be getting milk. But she also ate about 10 pellets of grain, is grain ok in small amounts or should I avoid it? She also was eating leaves, should I throw a handful into her?

The seller guarantees 100% health from any and all potentially fatal diseases. I will have the vet out for a well baby check in the next day or two.

She had a CD/T shot today, as well as Ivermectin oral. Do I need to give her the injectible Ivomec for the coccidia? The person who picked her up said it was not a nice place, not very clean, and some of the other goats had diarrhea (if I had known all that I might not have gotten her at all). So far her poops are nice and solid pellets, and she is peeing up a storm. What do I look out for? Is she covered for tetanus with the CD/T? I had heard that it is not as effective as the regular tetanus, but I might have misread. I know she will need rabies and such unless that is routinely given with the others? No fears, I will have the vet set up her regimin, just need to know what to expect.

Ummm, what else...shallow water pan used (drowning, yikes). She is as happy as a little lark out there.

Suggestions, thoughts appreciated, I am really new to goats and don't want to screw up a baby by doing something stupid. ****** is doing well, but he was older when we got him. She is so small...and vulnerable...help me, I think I am in goat-love!

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
I use regular baby bottle for my goat kids. But I cut a large X in it. She looked to be pygmy/nigerian.
Mine eat hay, alfalfa pellets when they are ready. They get bottle fed three times a day. I fill one up and they drink as much as they want and usually beg for more once they are use to the bottle.
CD&T 2 cc's no matter what size of goat and since it was her first shot she will need a booster in 21 to 28 days. Then once a year.
I am not sure where you are but mine like to eat alot of hay when they are cold. It won't hurt her to eat it and it is fine.
For cocci you need something like Albon or Co-rid.
I never give my goats rabies shots so I cannot answer that one.
I would let them interact when you are around so they get use to each other. My little ones are very good at avoiding the big ones but then again I have quite a few more.

·
Registered
805 Posts
DO NOT GIVE IVERMECTIN (ANYTHING) TO A KID UNDER 6 MONTHS OF AGE!

Ivermectin can cross the blood/brain barrier and in a kid that age the blood/brain barrier is not mature enough to handle this medication.

I use Pyrantel Pamoate (Strongid) on kids under 6 mos. Or Valbazen. Some Sulmet is good to also have on hand for cocci, which is the more likely thing a kid will get and you will have to deal with.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,255 Posts
My eight week old bottle baby Nigerian Dwarf eats EVERYTHING! Oak leaves, pecan, orange, alfalfa pellets, etc.

I don't give more than 10 ounces per feeding. Three times a day. Over feeding causes BIG problems.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betsy-oh no! Her BREEDER gave her the Ivermectin!!!! Why would she do that :(? OK, so back to TSC for me tomorrow. Thank you! My biggest overnight concern was her eating her "bedding." She is just chomping away out there.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I am wondering if it was the angle of the camera she looks big but notice the hand underneath her the arm is smaller so I am guessing a smaller hand and it covers a lot of her body. Pictures are really bad that way sometimes I gain 75+ ponds and rolls I did not realize I had every picture I have taken yes I am that woman in the photostudio imagine me and hubby and 5 boys all smiling no fidgeting and no extra rolls ( I have enough ) I ask them to book 2 time slots for our pictures because they can take a while.

·
Registered
230 Posts
She can eat as much hay as she wants as early as she wants......the earlier the better for rumen development. I think you are doing a fine job and it's good to see someone that is concerned with the health of their animals.

We want pictures!!!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I pm'd you before I read this thread. Sounds like you are doing fine and try not to panic until there is something to panic about. I know it's hard considering what you have been through, but she is your "do over" and it's a clean slate now. Just love her to pieces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts