Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohmygosh, y'all, I think I'm losing my big toe-nail. <nausea> :grit:

My horse stepped on my toe about 4 days ago; no biggie, it happens all the time.:rolleyes:

Only difference this time was the worst injury was to the cuticle (torn away, white "crescent" totally showing).

I've had it under a bandaid with antibiotic ointment constantly, and have been really pleased that the nail didn't turn purple and need a hole drilled in it to relieve the pressure (something I've seen done to friends' nails, but not my own).

EXCEPT, that RIGHT NOW, I just removed the bandaid to "check" the healing and the dern EDGE of the nail AT THE CUTICLE is <gulp> showing and moving! aaaaaaaaaaaa! aaaaaaaaaaaa! bbbbllllllleahhhhh!:eek::eek:

You know, I'm not really a squeamish person, but this just has my guts in knots.

It would seem that as the torn cuticle edge "healed", it shrank back away from the nail bed, so now that is showing and not too stable.....

What in the world do I do now?? Is it going to rot? (heave) Is it going to heal back?

I need a drink....:buds:

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Don't waste it. If you're making soup, the extra gelatin will help thicken broth a bit.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't waste it. If you're making soup, the extra gelatin will help thicken broth a bit.

next topic of discussion......cleaning vomit off of electronics.

Thanx, Oggie.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
It sounds like you're probably going to lose the nail, but unless the nailbed is damaged, it should grow back just fine. It'll take several months.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
My hubby had a similar injury years ago, but it was caused by the ramp on the moving van we had rented hitting his sandaled foot :nono:We were moving out of state the very next day, so no time to see a doctor. I gave him the silliest looking "clown bandage" made of horse bandaging supplies. It made his big toe look like it was 4 times its normal size and the vet wrap was a beautiful teal.

Long story short, he survived and can even still use the foot for walking! LOL

·
Dallas
13,885 Posts
Had something similar happen, put a band aid on it for well over a week, when I took the bandaid off the nail came with it, and underneath was a new nail growing - was already about 1/3" up from the cuticle at that time -- its a nice new nail now.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
DS mashed his finger in a wooden folding chair and squished/pulled the nail and cuticle etc.. out of the bed! The whole nail and the whole greyish white cuticle were dangling. I
never knew what the "hidden" part of a nail looked like before that. blech.
I had to tell him that it was beyond the mommy's expertise so off we went to the DR.
The DR pulled it the rest of the way out/off.
I thought for sure he would never have a nail on his ring finger again, but it grew back. It took awhile, but it did grow back.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You are probably going to lose the nail, but probably not all at once. Think of the nail bed as a conveyor belt... the nail that is left will grow out and the new one move along right after it.... sounds like you will have a gap between the two. (eewww!)

Keep an eye on it and trim the edges as it grows out so that it doesn't get caught on your socks (ouch!) Soaking can soften the nail so it is easier to trim. Just went thru this with my Sweetie's big toe.

And.... no, it won't rot... and yes, have a drink!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are probably going to lose the nail, but probably not all at once. Think of the nail bed as a conveyor belt... the nail that is left will grow out and the new one move along right after it.... sounds like you will have a gap between the two. (eewww!)

Keep an eye on it and trim the edges as it grows out so that it doesn't get caught on your socks (ouch!) Soaking can soften the nail so it is easier to trim. Just went thru this with my Sweetie's big toe.

And.... no, it won't rot... and yes, have a drink!
Thanks Lori, that makes me feel better! I thought of the "rotting" thing because I'm so used to cutting away dead tissue from the animals' wounds, that the thought of trying to do it to myself got me ooooogly-googley!

Yes, I do keep banging it into things! Seems the more I try to protect it, the more it gets in the way...:shrug:

Sigh....it is going to take forever to grow out; the whole dern thing! Now I have to go through all my work shoes/clogs/boots and find which ones aggravate it and which have "clearance" in the toe department.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hiking boots usually have ample toe room... I wore mine a lot when I broke a bone in my foot, and even with my wide feet there was still room to wiggle the toes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just had this happen not too long ago. Three days in the backcountry with hiking boots a little to small and toenails a little too long- ouch! I would reccommend, in addition to keeping it trimmed, keeping a Band-Aid or adhesive tape on it to keep it from snagging on your socks if it gets loose. The only trouble I had was one of them came off a bit too soon and the new nail got a bit ingrown. Stubbing your toe REALLY hurts with no (or a partial) toenail! I think it took about 6 months to come back.

-Sarah

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I did the exact same thing when I was 16; unloading horses after a 4-h club riding meeting and my horse jumped onto my foot and twisted. I of course finished taking care of the horse, then drove myself home. Where I had to have my mother remove my boot because it couldn't get it off my foot. She took one look at my blood-soaked sock and drove me straight to Redi-care. They removed the nail (hanging by a thread).

I think it took six months for the nail to grow back, and when it did it was a bit thicker than normal for a year or two. Now, 20 years later, it is normal and you can't tell.

On the upside, I placed really well in my equitation classes at the shows for a month or two; I was very careful not to jostle that toe!!

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
When the nail comes off, after a few days, your toe won't be so sensitive and you can most likely wear any of your shoes. It'll feel funny for a while, but shouldn't hurt, and the new nail will soon grow.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
With any luck at all you are seeing the old nail being pushed away by the new one growing out. The new one, by the way, probably won't be at all like the old one was. It most likely is damaged from the blow that separated it at the cuticle and will grow back either misshapen or thinner than the old one.

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
Ok, so I referred to my Gray's Anatomy and my NATO Emergency War Surgery books and couldn't find the terms "ooooogly" OR "googley".

But... it sounds like you're gonna be just fine.

R

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
..............Wash it with with Hydrogen Peroxide then alittle methialite ; it'll sting alittle but you're tough ! , fordy

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Since I have some kind of nail disease, they turn really thick, I am sitting here with both big toe nails totally off. The foot dr took them off!!! But does that hurt!!!!!

It feels really funny when walking and it takes about 6 to 8 months to grow back and then they have to take them off again......I hasve had it done twice now. You will live....... LOL

Alice

1 - 20 of 38 Posts