Oh Canada!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gina, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Gina

Gina Active Member

Do we have any Canadian homesteaders here? If so, I'd love to hear about Canada and the area you live in.

Gina

2. country granny

country granny Member

Yes I live in Canada, in Manitoba.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Check back a few pages as there was a post lookign for Canadians not so long ago. I'm in E Ont.

4. dpn7e840

dpn7e840 Member

I hope to someday move to Canadian outback for my homestead. I like the cold weather, plus I feel Canada is a little more 'secure' government wise. Unfortunetly, becoming a resident of Canada isn't as easy as I hoped, but I'm working on it! :)

Regards,
    Kyle

5. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Kyle -- what do you mean by the "Canadian Outback"? If you like really cold weather, head for Saskatchewan. Cheap land, and plenty cold! We looked at property there, two hours from Regina (the capital of the province) 16 acres for $15,000 with house and four outbuildings. Of course, everybody and their brother is heading OUT of the province because they're so bloody left wing and stuck in 1954, but hey, cheap land. When we lived there we went thirty three straight days once with the thermometer never going above -30C.

And I really don't understand what you mean by "more secure, government wise"??

Tracy
    (in Alberta)

6. dpn7e840

dpn7e840 Member

Yup, Saskatchewan or Manitoba is what I am lookin' into going for. After researching the climates, I found I would be happiest there. I hope to move to Essex, Ontario sometime this winter, on a student visa until I can get my residency and buy some land up there in the colder parts.

I'll have to grow most things in hoop houses, but well worth it.

As for the gov't, I think the Canadian country is more secure than the USA. Just from what I have seen.

Regards,
    Kyle

7. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

I was born near Essex -- my uncle lives there, and my brother is in Cedar Beach (near Kingsville). I have aunts and uncles and cousins all over the place. My dad was born in Cottam. I would advise you take some money with you -- that area isn't cheap.

I hope you're right -- but having lived here most of my life, I can assure you that we have PLENTY of our own troubles. Our government is as power-hungry as the next, and if you plan on living west of the Lakehead, be prepared to have all your decisions made for you by Quebec and Ontario. They pretty much dictate what the federal government looks like.

What kind of work are you planning on doing? I would assume you're in the medical field, as you say "residency" -- Saskatchewan is SCREAMING for doctors (we lived there for six years and over that time had six different family doctors -- they kept moving away). Saskatchewan is a HARD place to live, if you're not from there. Just, please, trust me on this. I don't wish to offend anyone on the board, but when we lived there, we found it VERY insular and clique-y. It's VERY hard to get established there -- and the provincial government is impossible if you intend to open a small business/work for yourself. The legalities and red tape and pure bureaucracy are debilitating. Property and provincial income taxes were stupidly high. We paid the same amount of property tax on a $60,000 home there as my brother paid on a $300,000 home in Metro Toronto.

Manitoba is beautiful, but cold. My nephew is currently living there and I have several friends from there. All say they left (and my nephew is leaving at the end of the summer to move back home) because of the weather (it has been known to snow in EVERY month of the year -- including July) and the bugs. Be very careful of where you choose. The interlakes region is really nice.

Good luck --

Tracy

8. Gina

Gina Active Member

Tracy,
    We have been considering a move to Canada or Missouri and have yet to decide which. We are familiar with our own government and the area. Your honest assessment of the areas you mentioned is VERY welcome. A lot of times, we tend to feel that "the grass is greener on the other side" but it is helpful to keep in mind that each area has it's own problems and no place is perfect.

DH and I are interested in BC and the Nova Scotia/New Foundland areas. If anyone has any information they can give us about those areas, it would be greatly appreciated. It's wonderful to hear that a place is beautiful but we'd also like to hear about the other stuff too. Cost of living, local governmental issues, red tape issues, etc.

Gina

9. Sue C

Sue C Member

I am from southern Ontario, just outside Toronto and moving to Sudbury, up north starting to round the great lakes. I looked at a property on Saturday, 70 acres of tree and bush with a large house, hugh loft over attached bigger than double garage, small barn, 2 storey guest house, 1 hour from the City of Sudbury downtown. Asking price 119,000.00 with land taxes of $800 per year. I am assured I will always have a white Christmas. This is a very friendly area and very underestimated. Sudbury, a mining center, had a severe polution problem in 50/60's and is now reforrested and waiting to be rediscovered. We are looking for land outside the core and find the outside area thriving and the city has everything you would ever want. Doctors are in severe shortage in the north, I heard 1 doctor per 5000 residents but don't hold me to that. Why a doctor would not want to work and bring up a family in the fresh air, fields and forests I don't know.

Here are 2 ways to find land in Canada: www.dignam.com you can get a catalogue or subscribe, they cover land from coast to coast. The are located in Barrie, about 1-1 1/2 hrs north of Toronto. Also check out www.mls.ca this is a registry of everything being sold by real estate agents across Canada and it updates daily. Pick the province and then look through the areas you are interested in. When you get to the page that tries to narrow your search down just scroll down and hit search. You will get lots, acreages, businesses, suburban homes.. anything in the area for any price. This is a great way to get to know an area and what is available from a distance. I am not good with the web but even I managed to find my way around this site.

Hope these two sites are of some help.

10. country granny

country granny Member

I've lived in Manitoba now since 1985 and I've never seen snow every month of the year. We live in southern Manitoba where the summers are HOT and the winters are cold, meaning +90F and high humidity in the summers, to -35F - 40F in the winters with high winds.

I mean what can you say when you live in the city where they say the coldest spot in Canada is Portage & Main. :haha:

You can't beat the summers though and the lakes areas are wonderful, with sandy beaches for miles.

I've also lived in Sask. and loved it. The weather is pretty much the same.

Now as to the gov't., well Tracy said it well in this quote: