Office space

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a web magazine doing pretty durn good business and I'd like to get my office out of the spare bedroom of my VERY small house and into its own space. The spare bedroom needs to be turned back into a bedroom for guests ...!

I need office space, desperately. Said space needs to be:

1. Easily air-conditioned. It gets horribly hot here in the summer -- 120 degrees isn't that unusual.

2. Reasonably secure against casual thieves. (Nothing will stop a determined thief.)

3. Able to survive violent summer thunderstorms reliably. We don't get tornados here; we do get some whopping big microbursts with 70-80mph winds at least once a year.

4. Look professional. I may have clients and various Important People visit. It doesn't have to be fancy, just neat and look "businesslike."

5. Big enough for two offices (myself and my SO), plus ideally a third room for a media room/library/records room so that I'm no longer in fear of dying by book avalanche ...

A used singlewide mobile is out; the county won't let me put two "dwellings" on one lot. Otherwise, I'm looking for ideas and/or suggestions for manufacturers for prefab buildings.

2. x_xbirdie

x_xbirdie Well-Known Member

3. Jeslik

Jeslik Well-Known Member

Not sure if they're cost-effective, but I've wondered if those mobile offices used at construction sites might not be a solution. While I'm sure that new, they cost a boatload, you might be able to find an office willing to sell off its old stock so they can order a new unit for themselves. Mobile Mini is one of the companies that rents these, but there are plenty of others, both national chains, and local dealers. No one could ever say they were a permanent dwelling.

4. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

Well, you didn't say whether you have space on the land to put another building. An office is not a "dwelling". Seems to me you should be able to put what amounts to a detached garage on the property without getting the building dept.s panties in a bunch.

Rather you'd have a problem running a business off your property. That they may have a problem with.

If they don't, then it's simply a matter of building something with what ever budget you might have. Most home/lumber places have package deals for all kinds of buildings. Buy a garage pack (24' x 24') and forget the garage door and just build a standard wall with a nice residential door. Could even tie it in close to the house for later conversion to a real garage when you make it to the big show.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Catspaw said exactly what I was going to on all points, so - ditto. :)

--->Paul