off topic-sorry In Memory of Rosa Parks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jim East Tn, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

Courage...Conviction...Equality

The only way to stamp out racism is to teach our children that racism is OUR problem/challenge to fix.

Are we teaching our children well?

2. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Well-Known Member

I was saddened to hear that Rosa Parks died, but she did live to age 92 years. I had a friend (who now has passed on) that did some of the rides with Rosa Park. God rest her soul.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

She helped change America for the better,thats for sure.

BooBoo

4. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I can remember bus trips in Birmingham when I was a small child. I saw older black women being made to ride standing in the back of buses while white adults and children were given their seats. I also saw blacks being made to stand outside the church buildings in order to hear through a window as the "christian" message was being given, even though there were many seats available. I can remember the older white people saying that those black people should just obey the law and not start trouble .....

Rosa Parks was an American Ghandi. She attempted to change a country in a non-violent way and started a great movement. Her messege was simple ... stand up for what is right as an individual and do it in a passive manner ..... those that followed her should have remembered this lesson.

I am very thankful for Rosa Parks and all those like her. They were willing to face very real dangers to stand up for Freedom in this country. Rosa stood against the social norms of her day. She stood against the unjust laws of her day and she forced America to take a deep look inside and examine who we were as a nation... what we stood for and what we should change to become better.

Rosa Parks was a patriot in the truest meaning. We need more like her today.

5. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I thought this was interesting. Rosa Parks' 1956 mug shot at her arrest. She would have been 43 at the time.

The cutline on photo read:

Civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks was photographed by Alabama cops following her February 1956 arrest during the Montgomery bus boycotts. The booking photo, taken when Parks was 43, was discovered in July 2004 by a deputy cleaning out a Montgomery County Sheriff's Department storage room.

Courtesy: thesmokinggun.com

[​IMG]

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

It takes a lot to be the first to defy the majority...I wish more had done so when Hitler first started.

7. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    She did a great and courageous deed, and our country is better for what she did.

May she rest in peace.

8. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Thanks for posting this.

9. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

People did speak out against Hitler. It wasn't only the Jews who went to the camps.

I really respect this woman. Standing up for your rights was dangerous when Rosa Parks was 43.