Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are slowly on our way to get the house done, and get farther out, more space, you know the drill. Hubby comes home last week with stuff to get our front room repaired and painted. It wasn't all that expensive, but its done now. And I just had to share the story. He went to Lowes, to get the molding. He comes back with 2 gallons of paint, from the discount bin. It was brand name but mixed wrong so they had to discount it. They were marked $5 each and we had the primer already. After prepping and priming, I did the trim. The "fingerprint" of paint on the top looked like a tan color. Its tan from far away but up close it has a purple tint. When I opened the other can for the walls, it was pink. The "fingerprint" was sort of an ivory white, but inside was pink. So after 10 minutes of stirring, it turned out peach. I looked at the lid again, it said "Tawny Peach". At this point(5am) I decided peach will have to do. Its splotchy, so I'm doing another coat in a couple days. Ive decided that I prefer brush to rolling. The thing is, this is almost the exact same color of the walls under the paneling(sp?) when we bought this place. Its also the same color combonation in my mom's house-which no one realized until the next evening when we had company.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh I forgot to mention that we painted over the peach under the paneling, and decided that peach was a horrible color. I guess I "forgot" how much I hated peach. This new peach doesnt look half bad.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discount bin paint can be a treasure or a waste. If it was discounted simply because it was tinted incorrectly, you could get a couple different ones, and mix them in a 5 gal bucket and call it muave etc. However sometimes they are in the discount bin because they've been frozen, in which you would have a curdled mess

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
If it was frozen it belongs in the trash and not the discount bin. You should take it back and talk to the manager about it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
We were in Big Lots a while back and they were selling Big Lots brand paint for $5 a gallon. Anyone know if it is any good? I know they didn't make it.

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
My thoughts on paint.I helped a buddy paint inside his house with white on white cheap paint from home depot.After 3 coats it still 'bled' through.took the trash back,and got the expensive paint.1 coat thereafter ,but we still put on a 2nd just to cover it well.I'm pretty sure after that,and talking to a few industrial painters,you get what you pay for when it comes to paint.A couple "Pro's" recommended Dunn-Edwards out here,I can tell you from experience its very good paint,BTW.

Now for the bargain bin(WOOHOO!).Ace had spray paint for some crazy price like 25 cents or 50 cents a can,i forget,but it was cheap.I bought it all,funky yellows,pinks,all of it.We have been using it now for years.I didnt have a use at the time,but wife has managed to use it a lot in her crafts projects.It was a super bargain,guess it was overstock or poor seller or something,nothing quality issue wise.
BooBoo

·
Big Bird
2,173 Posts
My thoughts on paint:

The cheap stuff from Wal-Mart has always been the best for me.
The first gallon I ever bought was some Martha Stewart stuff for 4 times the Walmart price. I needed more. I took the paint chip to Walmart late at night and had some stocker match and mix it for me. It's been a better quality paint for a whole lot cheaper.

I got the really expensive stuff from Home Depot. Used Kilz primer over new drywall then this really expensive stuff over that. The Home Depot guy said this was the best way to do it. It was supposed to be the washable stuff. It was a pretty green color in my little boy's room. For two years now, he's been peeling it off. It comes off in great big huge sheets. Home Depot said they couldn't do anything about it unless I brought back the gallon of paint still in a can. :confused:

I'll use the cheap stuff from Walmart from now on. We've even bought their OOPS paint before for $1 a gallon. If you can find light colors or colors close to what you've used it's wonderful to mix it up yourself with left overs.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I buy bargain bin paint all the time, then come home and experiment. :D

My latest experiment is in the soon to be new bedroom (after I finish it and get everything moved) --- I mixed a hunter green, lots of almond, some lime green and some bright blue, and came up with a very nice sagey-green color.

Cheap white paint, though, is never worth it. :no: It always and forever looks like cheap white paint and takes at least twice the amount of a good paint to do the job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unless you need a very specific color, always ask about mistinted paint. I work in a very freindly hometown hardware store and if a customer asks we will add tints and shake mistints which still sell for $1/quart and $5/gallon. Just make sure you get enough to finish and some for later touch-ups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts