Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my supporters, it is D-Day. I am going back to the guy who IV sedated me last time, but I know he will be picking poking prodding today to set up a treatment schedule...I am so scared. I honestly feel like the pain isn't as overwhelming as it was (maybe those antibiotics helped?) but can't deal with this anymore. Now you would think that not being able to eat anything but oatmeal for three weeks would have helped me lose weight...not. I think I will be swallowing a few Xanax in a bit. Torture time is in T minus 1 hour, 50 minutes. I am trembling already and trying to think of ways out of this...

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
You'll be fine!!

I used to be afraid of the dentist too, but I just seemed to get over it all of a sudden several years ago..I don't know why.

Now I only fear the bill :eek:

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point, maybe I will hold off on the meds and just be a blithering puddle of goo in the waiting room. I would hate to think he could go ahead with a procedure and get it done except that I took meds.

Tiempo, I wish I would outgrow this stupid fear/phobia. Knowing I am going to this guy makes it a lot better, I know he deals with dental-phobes all the time and did well by me last time.

T minus one and a half hours...

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Into the shower with me...dead woman walking...

I'll let you know how it turns out. (shudder)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just seeing this now, but praying honey! And, yes, I too was worried about you taking meds that might interfere with things. We've had to reschedule patients who wanted nitrous oxide, but had taken valium/xanax or had some drinks beforehand.
You really can't let this infection continue...but you know that. Please come back and give a report when you get home and have a chance to breathe again.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had forgotten how sweet this man was. So my options are: root canals on two of them, the canine and the far back molar, or extraction. He said I have "pulpitis" instead of a full grown abcess. He had told me before that the inside of my teeth are weak, the pulpy parts. I have opted to have the back tooth removed (financial reasons) and the front one root canaled. The difference between being knocked out and not is about $400. I will try to be strong and take the Halcion he prescribed me and opt for the laughing gas, with the knowledge that I CAN be put under if I need to or it gets too painful. He said the nerves on both teeth are dead (so why does it hurt so bad?!) so the root canal will not be as bad as I fear. The only bad thing: his next available hour and a half apt was 1/26. So it's oatmeal and percocet until then. He told me for pain to take the percs and supplement with Ibuproffen. I also have a script for amoxycillin.

I had forgotten what a sweetheart this guy was, very gentle and slow moving. So next fear day is 1/26. It was bad, but not as bad as I feared. the 26th will be a different story, though.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Oh, I'm so glad it went well. Root canals are more boring than painful, and any postop pain you have will be minor compared to what you've been going through. Bring headphones too...a lot of dental phobia is the noises going on around you, so if you can bring something to block it out, that may help.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
becca - to make you feel better.

I have two back molars with gold caps on them. The teeth immediately in front were taken out 2 years ago. Now when I went to get a cleaning just before Christmas - the technician noticed the gum base on one has a cavity, and the other has an abcess. I've never felt the abcess as it has a drainage path. So, two new caps, one filling, one root canal OR two teeth out and then a partial afterwards. The out and partial will net more chewing surface and cost less overall. BUT this time I have GOOD insurance. The teeth out will only cost me $50. (Last time my children paid about $2000 out of their pockets for me).

Immediate pennicilin for 10 days while trying to get an appt for either a root canal on the back, or go have both out and then a partial when healed.

Yesterday - the oral surgeon visit. They come out Wed morning of next week.
In the meantime, I still have an abcess back in my jaw area - and WIHH, 2 daily I'm using a suringe to put regular hydrogen proxide at the gum and between gum and tooth. It's holding it okay.

So, Becca - I feel for you. I have been terrified of most dentist until I got really use to them. And this oral surgeon took the gone teeth out 2 years ago and he convinced me he was good. I will be totally under for the procedure.

So, sympathy for your 'fear factor'.

Angie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts