off label monthly flee treatment for cats?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by caroline00, Mar 25, 2005.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

are there any?
    My vet doesnt know of any but says that if I research it out he will get me what I need. (we have a very good relationship and he knows that I research things to death before trying them on my animals) Are there any at all?

Are there any cat discussion boards that might be able to help me? Thank you!

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

All I know is that you should NOT use the Hartz brand flea drops. If you read the fine print on the back of the box, you will find that it causes seizures in some cats. I tried it on my cat once, and the next day, her legs were twitching uncontrolably and she was drooling everywhere. I gave her a bath to wash the crud off of her (still have the scars) and took her to a 24 hour vet clinic. Fortunately, the bath did the trick, and the vet did not have to give her any medication. If the vet does have to treat the cat for the seizures, it usually involves strong muscle relaxants and a stay at the vet for a few days.

I've heard a much more natural method of flea control is to introduce nutritional yeast into your pet's diet. You might want to try that.

3. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

This is not off lavbel but is still a whole lot less expensive.

ADVANTAGE is the same for dogs and cats and The 4 appplication package for up to 100 lb dogs cost the same or less than a 4 pack of a package for a 10 lb cat .

I get these and eyeball the amount , use about 1/4 - 1/3 of the tube on a cat. That way the same $40.00 will last for 16 applications. I keep the opened one in the fridge just to be on the safe side. I have done this for years and it really works just fine.

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

You can do that with frontline, too. Don't try giving cats any dog product with Pyrethrins or Permethrin in it. Cats are very sensitive to those products and you could end up with a dead cat! Basically the only safe "dog" products that can be used on cats that I know of are Advantage and Frontline/Frontline Plus. The "Plus" in the Frontline Plus is methoprene and the dog stuff has a lower concentration of that ingredient than the cat stuff does, so it should be safe (I use it on my cats when needed). Advantage is safe, but Advantix is NOT safe. Hope you find a good product you are satisfied with!

5. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

PLEASE, PLEASE. PLEASE....

Do not use any of the over the counter junk like Hartz or Zodiac.

We normally used Front line, but because I was laid off,we tried to use a cheaper brand from Walmart on our 6cats. We used the brand "Zodia flea and tick for cats".

Well, All 6 cats went into sezures, had to make several 1 hour commutes to the city emergecy vet, cats had to stay there for 24-48 hours,, nearly lost a couple cats and one still has slight nuro problems even after 6 months. All this to save a few dollars...it ended costing me $1000.00. Zodiac will not do anything or take any resposibility. They claim we did this on purpose to our own cats. They did do their own testing in their own labs and say that they found nothing wrong with their product.

Our vet and several vets we talked to claim they see this all the time from over the counter CRAP.

If you do some research on the net you will find page after page of folks who had the same thing happen, some even losing their pets.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't use such CRAP on your pets...

6. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

I've used bio-spot on my cats and have had really good results.

karen in ne indiana

7. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

Read the thread on diatomaceous soil. on this forum.

KC~