Off Grid Family Cook House

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fire-Man, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I am fixing to build a Cook house for family get-togethers---probably 24x60. I wanted to get some opinions---This building will be Off-Grid---as long as I am living anyway. I am going to heat it with a wood heater---we only have one get together in the summer so I am thinking open windows with a few fans for that spring/summer/fall get together's. This building will only be used during our get-togethers. My Question-------How tight should I insulate/wrapp this building? My reason for asking is-- I stayed in a old home my whole teenage life---no insulation anywhere---not even under pinned----I have even watched the chickens under the house through cracks in the floor. I never remember this house getting REAL hot in the summer time. We never had a AC and heated with wood. So I was thinking----Would I be better off not building it tight? Keep in mind I am a few miles off the East Coast in SC. This building will be shaded in the summer time from noon till sun-set. The sun will be on the building all day after the leaves fall off. I was thinking that being I am going to use wood heat---If I build it real tight the smell of escape smoke when filling the heater etc will be hard to get out of the building. Opinions Needed. Thanks!! Randy

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    "Off grid", 'A few fans", hows this going to work?

3. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

I am wanting to build a similar structure here kind of modeled after the old dog trot style buildings. It will have two wings and a open middle section that is all under the same roof. The one side will be for cooking, and will contain a cooking wood stove, pantry etc. The middle will have the summer eating area with large ceiling fans to keep air flow and the outdoor kitchen grills/small sink etc. The right side wing will have the winter eating area, with a "Montana" lodge style main room with fireplace. This side will get full southern exposure so not much in the way of heat other than the firplace will be installed... I am going to cool both the left and right side with a mini split dual ac unit. As for insulation, I will insulate both wings like the house.

4. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

My parents has a BIG windows fan from the 1960's, it was pure steel. It has massive blades that would spin even with the slightest breeze, it was non-electric. It cooled down our house alot.

I wonder if you could use those to cool off the place?

Kat

5. Fire-Man

Solar Panels! Randy

6. Fire-Man

Let me try to explain here------------I am not trying to Figure out How to cool the building--I am asking-------being its going to be off grid(some Solar Electric) Would the building be easier to cool off with open windows and fans if it was not built TIGHT(Loads of insulation, wrap, etc) built like the Old homes 50 to 75 years ago that had no insulation and never a AC? Also with no insulation/tight built I was thinking it would not get so Smoke Stuffy with Wood Heat in the winter. Just figured some one on here has some experience with this. Its nothing to do with the Cost of the insulation----Just which way would be best for this Building? Thanks Randy

7. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

Off Grid Family..Cook House

I thought this was going to be about an
    off gridder that burned his house down ..

Triff .. :rolleyes:

8. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

I always thought insulation helped keep a house cool and a vapor barrier helped to keep humidity lower which helps cool as well and ventilation?

9. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

Will The Building Have High Ceilings? My Grandparents House 4 Blocks From The Gulf In Fla. Had High Ceilings. It Was Frame, Well Built But No Insulation. I Live Now In A House That Is Super Insulated. Even The Walls. It Is Frame On A Concrete Foundation. We Have Been In The 60's And So Far Have To Run A Box Fan And Ceiling Fan Inthe Bedroom To Keep From Sweltering.

Not Knowing How The Future Of Our Country Will Go, Seems Like To Super Insulate The New Building Might Be An Asset For The Future. The Bldg. Might Be Needed Year Around, Compared To The Planned Occasional Use For Now.

Mum

10. Fire-Man

The ceiling will be app 10ft in the peak.

Maybe I should ask the ones of you that burn wood every day in a Well insulated/Tight home-------Do you have any problem with the slight escaping smoke from filling etc-----smoking up your house? Do you have to open a window a little to help get it out? Thanks Randy

11. whistler

whistler Well-Known Member

No. If the stove and chimney are sized right for your situation and you are using appropriate fire building materials you should never have smoke escaping. I've build hundreds of fires in many different fireplaces and have only smoked up a room once. That stove was improperly installed in a basement with some serious pressurization problems.

Build your house as tight as you can--don't let the fear of woodsmoke limit this.

Whistler