off balance Sal

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by biscoe, Oct 26, 2004.

1. biscoe

biscoe Member

I have a 330lb sal that is due to drop a litter any day. She has become off balance the last couple of days and her rear hooves try to buckle under when she takes a step. Any ideas?

biscoe

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

that doesn't sound like a normal part of pig pregnancy. Anything from spinal meningitis, to a hip that has popped out of joint, to sacral pain, which can be a part occassionally of pregnancy. Not really enough info to go on

3. biscoe

biscoe Member

What other info might help? She was 100% up until 3 days ago. I seperated her from the rest of the pigs as it looked like she was trying to build a nest and was ready to pop. She seems to have lost some of her appetite and I noticed last night that she just spurts when she urinates (10-15 short spurts) I think she is about to drop the litter. She seems to be in pain and tends to spend the bulk of her time laying down. When she is not laying down she stands in a very stationary stance. Is there anything you can give her for menigitis? I started to give her a shot of LA200 yesterday, but I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. I hate to spend $100 dollars on the vet when the pig wouldn't bring much more.

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I don't know what ketosis and hypocalcemia look like in pigs, but if she were a goat with those symptoms, that's what I'd be checking on.

5. Janene in TX

Janene in TX Member

Sounds like a pinched nerve in her hips/hind end. Hopefully when she farrows it'll take the pressure off & get better. Keep a close eye on her when she is farrowing & done to see if she is more 'back to normal'. Good Luck!!

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

just a wild guess, but could she have a stuck piglet and she has been trying to deliver it for 3 days? would account for the squirting urine and pain.

7. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Ouch! :waa:

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yeah, no kidding. i'm hoping someone went out to check her.... :eek: when a pig is in distress, they walk with the hind legs up under their belly more than normal.

9. biscoe

biscoe Member

The Sal (Sow), I've seen it spelled both ways and sal is the way my grandpa spelled it, seems to be making improvement. I have been monitoring her very closely. She is back to eating a bit, her knuckles are no longer turning under, she still has a funny gait, but her balance seems to be improving, she is dialating much further and spends more time standing up. I had made up my mind that if her condition had turned any worse I was going to load her up and take her to the vet, but she started making improvement, so I decided to hold off a bit and see what transpires.

Thanks for all the input, y'all guys are great. If anyone else has any ideas feel free to keep posting them as I am still unsure of the diagnosis even though the prognosis looks better and it may help myself or someone else in the future.

Biscoe

10. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Has she been vacinated for eryisipilas? Since she is improving I doubt that is the cause, but the main symptom is going weak ion the rear end.

11. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Okay, on a related matter...

The fellow we bought our piggies from said he kept track of the days from boar to baby pigs (he didn't put it that way...) and it was always the exact same number. And that it was always within a four or five day range for other pigs. (But I can't remember the number...)

Now if the boar lives with the sal :) , I guess there's no way to know, but if you did know that would definitely shed some light...

Good luck!