"off" and very depressed buck - ??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Aug 14, 2006.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Our 3 y.o. reg. Nigerian Dwarf buck took ill Friday evening. He was pastured with our 2 y.o. mini mancha buck and we took the mini out to pasture breed our two mini mancha does, so "Disco" was left alone, but is neighboring two other goat paddocks. He was fine and very bucky for the first two days alone, but since Friday, he's been extremely depressed, stands hunched up, well, actually more like tucked under in the back, very cowhocked/pinched in the back too. We took his temp. Fri. nite and it was 105.6, No snotty nose, no cough, no diarrhea, we haven't even seen him pee or poop, he has no interest in feed of any kind or even a doe in full blown heat doesn't make him look cheery. Fri-Sun we gave Nuflor antib's, Vit. B, Banamine, Bo-Se, and Probiotics, hoping something would help, nothing has. He just stands there and this morning he was lying down, but up when I got home from work. When we were looking at him tonight, we noticed his testicles seemed very large (is that possible in a goat!? LOL) and when we looked closer, the left is 2x as large as the right, it's only about 3" off the ground, hanging halfway between his hock and the ground. He is the aggressor of the 2 bucks, everyone is tested CAE neg. as of March, has pasturella and CDT shots, any ideas on this? Thanks, Jenny

2. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Poor guy. No clue to his problem and sounds like you have tried all the basics. Could he have punctured his underside with a thorn or possibly been biten by a bug. I'm just throwin out possible ideas. I would do a thorough check over his body and call a vet before its too late.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Yeah, he sounds pretty bad. I'd get him to a vet before you lose him.

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I did call the vet about him and was told that they would need to do bloodwork and it would cost more than the goat and he'd be dead by the time it got back. That's why we tried treating ourselves.

Over a year ago, we had the vet out to treat a doe for bloat. He came, walked up to her, shoved a tube down her throat, pushed on her sides, pulled tube out, got in his truck and left. She died 12 hours later from pasturella pneumonia, and I got a $90 bill! He didn't even know that's what was wrong with her, I lost another doe 12 hours after her too. Any medication I've ever asked them on is completely wrong too. They are terrible at horse stuff and neither my husband nor I can take off to try to take Disco to the good horse (and kinda goat vet) an hour away as we are both swamped at work and had to take off last week to get my darn mare's head sewn up when she bashed in the top (that's in the equine forum). Wish vets knew more about goats.

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

sounds maybe like eather a case of Urinary calculi or possibly a hurnia or rupture of some sort, if he is not peeing or just dripling it could be the urinary blockage, i had a buck come down with this and i had to snip off the end of his peer, you sit the buck on his but and expose his stuff, thin take the end of the tube that is loose along side and snip the tip with a pair of sharp sharp clippers, and if he isnt too far gone this should work,

if its a hurnia or a rupture i dont know what to do

6. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you tried Goat 911?