Homesteading Forum banner

Odd thing...My mailbox is down...

733 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Sumer 
#1 ·
Yup, Sunday morning, first thing I see when I look out the front window is that our mailbox is down. I put on my sandles before I head out to inspect the damage.

When I get out to the street I'm surprised to find that the wooden post & metal mailbox are intact and laying on its side on the ground! There are no tire marks on the street, no tire tracks on the lawn, no broken car parts to prove that a car was damaged in the assault on the mailbox.

All in all, it looks like someone very slowly pushed my mailbox with the bumper of a car(?) until the wooden post was pushed out of the ground and the mailbox & post fell over! The mailbox & post were not run over so the car must have then backed up & left!

How very odd!

deb
in wi

#3 ·
It was the kids down the road from me.

Since the first of July they have stolen two mailboxes (our original mailbox and it's replacement...which was up less than 24 hours), dumped our garbage out and two days later rolled the full garbage can across the road and turned it over into the swamp.

ARGGGGGGGGGG!!!

#4 ·
deb said:
YAll in all, it looks like someone very slowly pushed my mailbox with the bumper of a car(?) until the wooden post was pushed out of the ground and the mailbox & post fell over! The mailbox & post were not run over so the car must have then backed up & left!
After fixing it, DH told me that someone in a small truck backed up, wrapped a chain around the wooden mailbox post and the metal posts for the reg & advertising newpaper boxes, drove forward enough to pull the posts out, then unwapped the chains and then drove off.

Doesn't sound like your average juvenile prank to me.
-deb
in wi

#6 ·
Our farmer neighbor kept driving into our mailbox because he wanted his son's mailbox there instead of ours (they built next to him).

Dad called the post office and he was able to move it to our side of the road and we've not had problems since.

Although his smart<bleeped> farmhand drives down our driveway to collect hay and rips up our lawn...well he did until Dad parked his wagon caddy corner to the field entrance :D (the farmer has an agreement with our other neighbor to use his driveway).

Kat

#9 ·
Miss Lynne said:
I would call the post master in your town and report it. It is a federal offense to mess with mail boxes.
Yep, some kids were caught destroying mailboxes in our area. Those fellows found themselves in some very hot water. Well, they found themselves in jail is where they found themselves. :p

They were going through the county knocking down mailboxes. Someone saw them and got their tag number. They were arrested by federal people and put in jail. I don't remember how long they got but it was a couple of years for the teenagers.

They had torn down or damaged close to 50 mailboxes.

southrngardngal-Jan

#11 ·
js2743 said:
maybe someone just turned and hit it and never knew
Nope. We've had mailboxes get hit before and they never look the same again. Our mailbox & post was dirty, but it wasn't bent or damaged in any way.

You could see exactly where the chain had been wrapped around and how much it had slid up before it "caught .

deb
in wi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.