Odd scab on heifers udder??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Aug 1, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

My Sarah who SHOULD be due in Jan is a jers/hols cross. I was looking at her udder the other day and noticed that on the tip of 2 of her teats, around the base of one, and in the creases of her legs there is almost leather like scabs. I've never seen anything like that before and don't really know what all to do about it. anyone ever seen anything like that before and what do you suggest? Thanks a lot!

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Had you not mentioned her legs I would have gone for Cow Pox but that, to the best of my knowledge, only affects the udder. There are many things that can affect a cow's skin and I think that as this is showing up on the udder, I might be inclined to get veterinary advice - simply because I always get a bit dodgy with sores and scabs on the udder.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

If it was cow pox, getting up close and personal is a way to imminuie yourself against small pox :). Im not joking, milk maids during the small pox outbreaks back when, never got it because they were exposed to cow pox.

Jeff

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Jeff, I had an old girl with Cow Pox and I would be as immunised against Small Pox as it's possible to be :D We constantly transmitted it to each other but oddly, neither of us transmitted it to any of the other cows I was hand milking at the time.

None of which helps Allenslabs with his problems unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I looked at her yesterday and most all of it was except for a area a little bigger than a gummy bear and another small area. But most of the stuff around the teats was gone but you could see the dry area where it had been. So strange....... but welcome to my farm of the strange and peculiar...... a hen thats dizzy and falls over, a cow that refuses to calve..... and a heifer that has spots on her udder but thinks she's a dog. Welcome to the funny farm! HAHA!! Oh and my haflinger thinks all fence posts were put in place to scratch his butt on.....haha