Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this but was curious about something...

I have tons of store bought "jimmies" or sprinkles, and colored sugar for cupcakes. I love making cupcakes for my kids and buy all the seasonal toppings. What do you suppose the shelf life would be on these? I know some have been around for at least a year. Many of them are still sealed as I buy a ton at once. Should I throw any of these out or do you think they are fine?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I had some very ancient chocolate ones turn pale on me, but I don't think any of the others are real food, tho edible. As long a they're dry, they should be OK. If you're worried, you could put the extras in the freezer.

·
Premium Member
27,863 Posts
I've got some that are 10 years old, at least older than the loss of Pharmor stores. I ate a jar of them over the summer. Still good.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
I suspect they may be one of the only things left after the apocolypse.

Sprinkles, twinkies and cockroaches.

ETA and Joan Rivers.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I have been reorganizing the various cabinets in our kitchen and came across the little cupcakes decorations the other day. I used them last year at christmas time. Good to know that they are still usable!

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
*laugh* I also have some of these which must be decade old and show no signs of deterioration. You have to think this isn't a good thing in a food product...

·
Chief Vegtable Grower :)
941 Posts
I have a bunch that I bought on 90% off when a grocery store closed. NINE YEARS AGO! They are still good and my kids love them on ice cream too!

Carrie in SD

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Depends on what they are made of. Sniff them immediately on opening, and if they smell rancid, meaning there is some kind of shortening in there, then pitch them. I wouldn't use old silver ones at all. I do have a bottle of flat multi-colored sprinkles, still unopened, from my MIL's kitchen. She's been gone 16 years, and they weren't new then. I'm not opening them now; another few years and they'll be antiques. Sue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts