Odd Idea

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pointer_hunter, Feb 19, 2005.

1. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I had a crazy (lazy) thought tonight on the way into work. I read somewhere that a person used a goat to nurse a calf. So, I thought about training a dairy goat to walk up a ramp to a spot where the calf could reach the teats and drink the milk. There would be only enough room to get the milk having a bar or board across to protect the goat from a bumping calf head.

Is it possible to train a goat and calf to work in unison or am I just dreaming and when I wake up, I'll still have to milk in a pail and carry it to the calf? I have neither as of yet...still in the idea phase...

Feel free to let loose with any ideas/comments/suggestions/bashing...I can take it.

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Somewhere on the internet in the last month I came across a site where there is a pic of a Saanen (I think) with her baby and the baby is a calf...a very big calf about twice her size...perhaps finished raising it. I will look for it again...no guarantees I will ever find it again but you never know...at least you know that YES it is possible. :)

Oh thought I would just add, that it is ok for a calf to suck but not for a lamb to suck on a goat...they suck different and will wreck the teats.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Yep, it is possible to have a goat suckle a calf. I knew a lady in California who rented a milk goat for her registered calf after it's mamma died. I really don't know how they got the goat to put up with this (although goats will do just about anything for food). After the first suckling session the calf caught right on and had no problems.

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

The fact that it's been done for years shouldn't deter you. lol. Having had a goat dairy in AR meant that we had to put the milk in the tank to make a profit. Calves have suckled nicely at a goat's teat for years before it being brought up in public. And will continue to be a source of calf "Manna" in the future, lol.

Do it.

5. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

It figures someone else would take my idea...next you'll tell me there is a carraige that runs on gasonline :D

Thanks for the replies!!!!!!!!!

6. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

It's been done for years. They just don't tell you, lol. Just keep on keeping on.