odd heat pattern, or a problem?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Daisy, my 3YO pygmy doe, is having trouble being bred. today, however, something odd happened. she went into heat this last friday, and was covered well by the buck.
    she is trained to a halter, and i take her for walks with me. i was ready to leave and went to check the gates to the goat pens. i stopped for a second by the buck's gate, and herd daisy talk to the buck, like she does when she goes into heat! so i let her in there, and she stands quietly for the buck. but she just went into heat last friday! is there something wrong? i know she went out of heat, she stopped standing for the buck and warding him off with her horns, so she didn't just stay in heat. also, i have been trying to get her bred for the past 3 monthes, and she just keeps going into heat again! i am so confused.
    also, i have another doeling, Boston, that was born last year on june 2nd, making her 10 months old. is she old enough to be bred? she's alot smaller than the Daisy, but the same size of the buck, who is possibly 1 1/2YO. i think it would be fine, but was wondering what y'all think,

2. longearsfarm

longearsfarm Well-Known Member

I"m hardly an expert but mine kept coming back into heat and someone suggested offering loose minerals. I did so, and fingers crossed hard, that has stopped. No one has gone into heat for close to three weeks now, dare I say they might be, uh, PG?

Anyway, loose minerals is an idea that seems to have worked for me.

Valerie
    LongEars Farm

3. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Are you sure she isn't bred? We have a Lamancha doe that came in heat even though she was bred. Some goats will come into heat even though they are bred. The other doe is also a pygmy? She should be old enough to breed..but not sure hopefully some one else can help. Good luck and hopefully she is bred!
    Lori

4. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

My experience is more with horses- when a mare comes into frequent, hard heats, sometimes it can mean an ovarian cyst or some other reproductive problem that causes the hormones to act up strangely... An ultrasound answers all the questions...AND will tell you if she's preggers, too!

-Jill

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I also heard that goats can come into normal heats even though they are pregnant, but if i put her back in with the buck, then logically she could have 5 sets of twins of different ages started in her? i've been trying hard to get her pregnant, so she would kid while schools out for summer (freshman in highschool!) and that means that this is the last month to try for it. i am planning on having the vet come out to see her if she goes into heat again, because i also heard that she could be hermaphroditic. i hate worring about her, she seems so normal!
    I just put Boston in the pen with Daisy and the buck; she's not in heat and doesn't like the extra attention! :haha: