odd goat problem

Discussion in 'Goats' started by magwa, Apr 6, 2006.

1. magwa

magwa Silkie chicken enthusiast

I have a 3 year old alpine doe who just kidded yesterday.
    Yesterday I noticed the had a lump about the size of a quarter on her jaw. It is firm and can be wiggled around.
    also one of her ankles has been swollen for a few days and she is not putting much weight on it.
    Other than those two things she appears compleatley healthy and her two kids are doing well.
    Any ideas on what could be wrong with her?

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

If the lump is on her jaw by her teeth rather than under her ear, she may have an infected tooth. The vet can help her. I would also suggest blood testing her for CL. As for the limp, it sounds like an injury, but it would also be wise to have the vet send in a blood sample for CAE.

3. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

How long has it been since you dewormed this doe? It could be bottlejaw caused by a heavy worm overload. Kidding seems to bring out the worms. Of course it is almost impossible to give advice without seeing the animals so this is just something to consider. As far as the swollen ankle it could be a number of things, a sprain, to much protein in the feed, something in her hoof. Hope she gets to feeling better :)