Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a porch I want a ceiling fan in,the ceiling itself follows the roof pich which is 1:12. The height of the ceiling is 90"-7'6" where the fan would be installed. A fan that mounts flush on a flat ceiling would obviously be at a slight angle, would this last with the wear on the bearings? Has anyone mounted one like this? The other choice is one with the pivot point and short pipe which hangs down approx. 12" which might cause a contact problem.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would not mount the fan at an angle. I am pretty certain it wont work(or not for long.) Most fans mounting systems will allow for a bit of an angle and adjust themselves to plumb. What is the ceiling made of? Could you cut out a bit of ceiling and mount the box level?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
A wedge of wood is what I was going to suggest too.

R

·
0 Posts
I've hung lots of ceiling fans on vaulted ceilings. There shouldn't be a problem with hanging your fan as long as it's not a hugger type. Most fans come with a short rod that has a ball on the end. The ball will have a groove in it to position on the mounting canopy. Just make sure the notch on the mounting canopy is positioned on the low side of the ceiling. Before installing on ceiling, take a pair of pliers and bend the notch on the canopy upward just a little bit so that it will fit into the groove on the ball better when hanging at a angle. Make sure the notch is placed in the groove and you shouldn't have any problems.

Before actually hanging the fan on the ceiling, you may want to assemble the fan and hold it up to the ceiling to see if the fan blades will clear the ceiling. If not you may have to get a longer rod. A lot of fan kits have two different sizes of rods for your choice. For a 1 in 12 pitch you may have to have a 8" to 12" rod. That's not gonna give you much clearance for the ceiling height you mentioned.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
r.h. in okla. said:
I've hung lots of ceiling fans on vaulted ceilings. There shouldn't be a problem with hanging your fan as long as it's not a hugger type. Most fans come with a short rod that has a ball on the end. The ball will have a groove in it to position on the mounting canopy. Just make sure the notch on the mounting canopy is positioned on the low side of the ceiling. Before installing on ceiling, take a pair of pliers and bend the notch on the canopy upward just a little bit so that it will fit into the groove on the ball better when hanging at a angle. Make sure the notch is placed in the groove and you shouldn't have any problems.

Before actually hanging the fan on the ceiling, you may want to assemble the fan and hold it up to the ceiling to see if the fan blades will clear the ceiling. If not you may have to get a longer rod. A lot of fan kits have two different sizes of rods for your choice. For a 1 in 12 pitch you may have to have a 8" to 12" rod. That's not gonna give you much clearance for the ceiling height you mentioned.

The rod is the problem. A fan with a rod will drop the fan down at least a foot even with the shortest rod. I have open rafters right now so leveling the box or making a wedge is no big deal, just don't want to have people getting hit with the fan blades as height from floor is the concern.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Beeman said:
The rod is the problem. A fan with a rod will drop the fan down at least a foot even with the shortest rod. I have open rafters right now so leveling the box or making a wedge is no big deal, just don't want to have people getting hit with the fan blades as height from floor is the concern.
Cut the rod to shorten it (hacksaw) and drill yourself some new holes.

·
Registered
950 Posts
you can buy extension rods cheap at places like Home Depot and Lowes
do that.
Do not mount it flush with the celing it will be lopsided and cause more strain on the motor trying to send the blades uphill in one direction.
They werent designed to be hung like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts