Odd birth

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexasArtist, Dec 19, 2005.

1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

This morning I woke up to hearing two of our young goats calling. I went out to see what they were doing and they kept looking back towards the goats house. It was there mom she had a little boy. What's strange is that this is her third birthing and this time she has only given one (so far) and she still seems to be big like she still has a baby in her and her after birth hasn't dropped. Is this something that can happen sometimes or....? Can a goat give one baby and then wait a couple hours before giving another?

P.S. Little Jingle is doing just fine. He is up and running around and making freinds with the chickens.

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

If it has been that long, I would go into her (remember, trim your fingernails, gloves are good and lube). Or at least "bounce" her or bump her to see if you feel anymore kids.
    We had a doe in 2004 that we had to assist her delivery for the two boys (both were trying to come out at once). I bumped her afterwards to check for more because she had been so large and thought I felt something but we had never gone into a doe before to assist so I waited. 45 minutes after the two boys arrived a little girl arrived..dead. I tried mouth to mouth but it was in vain. She had been alive as far as I can tell when i bumped her 30 minutes prior. I should have gone after her.

I would definitely check the mother. You should see another kid usually within 10-15 minutes after the last one was born.

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have had moms look big also after kidding. Last year I had a doe deliver (Sophie) twins. Great! I got them in the barn and all was good. No bug deal right? We went out to the barn to help deliver another baby (breach) 20 hours after Sophie had hers, she was on the ground and had cleared all the dirt from where she was. I could tell she was in great pain. I had to decide what to do. I had one baby coming breach and something wrong with Sophie. I pulled the breach little doe " she was adorable" then I went to Sophie, my daughter held her and I lubed my glove REALLY well and went inside her, I felt a baby, remember 20 hours later. I was really upset. I pulled the baby and she was a dark baby,"Sophie has only had white babies" I kind of threw the baby to the ground, because I was really upset. She started to gasp for air. We were able to clean her up and we had a bottle baby, our first one ever in 5 years. We raise Cashmere goats. I know all of you that have the dairy goats that is no big deal but it was new to me. We were able to save mom and baby.
    Sorry what I was going to say is you will realize it if mom has more. If I am not sure I go into mom. I hate to do that for a chance of a infection, but that is a risk I will take because I would hate to miss and lose mom and or a baby. Better safe then sorry.
    Sorry I am going on and on. I have also had moms lose her afterbirth almost 24 hours after the birth.
    Good Luck,

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

TexasArtist, I LOVE that name "Jingle"! I have a big mixblood doe due on Thursday, December 22 and I just might "borrow" that name! "Jingle" and "Bell" would be cute...the momma does name is Tinkerbell. She looks like she could have triplets, how 'bout Jingle, Bell and Holly? She's bred to my Boer this year so the boys will be meat (Last year she was bred to my LaMancha and had twins). Good luck with those babies. Our weather is supposed to warm up towards Christmas up to the 70's during the day so it's gonna be warmer than they said, not gonna be as cold at night as they said either. Keep us posted on your little ones!...Diane

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

so far this season, we have noel and joy, misltoe and holly, miracle and star, and a doe due christmas, so we might get a jinlges, and tinkerbell, I am hoping.

6. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

If she has not cleaned yet...I would go a lookin' and after I did...I would give her a shot of penicillen to prevent infection.

Good luck..and congrats on Jingles!!

7. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

UPDATE well I can't feel any other baby but she has never not dropped down to a real skinny weight like this before so that is why I got to wondering what exactly was going on. I do appreciate everyones advice.
    Little Jingle has now been renamed frosty by my mom. I still like jingle but I guess I'll suffer through the name change. He's up and bouncing around and going for recharges from mom, from time to time. He's not sure what to make of the hay yet. Marie had him out in the middle of the yard and he was getting pretty cold so I wrapped him in my jacket and warmed him up and moved him back in. He's also already learned how to scare the turkey. He's gonna be a trouble maker when he grows up. :rolleyes:

SweetGoats are you saying your momma goat had one baby then 20 hours later here comes another?? Did I misunderstand? Poor momma :eek:

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Just be careful, we had a goat that we were sure was going to have at LEAST twins, and we knew she was in labor so my brother and I waited out in the rain at night to give her privacy, when we heard her grunting we went to her and she had a BEUTIFUL baby girl, we waited thinking that there was more because a second water had broke. When she didn't have anymore I did the bounce test to see if there were anymore, I thought that I felt something hard, but I wasn't sure if it was her stomach or a baby, in the end I went out in the morning to check on her and the new baby and there was a pair of hooves hanging out of her. She gave birth to a stillborn baby girl who was even more beautiful than the first, on top of that we allmost lost the mama. Just be careful, and if ANYTHING hints that there is another baby in there, go in. Good Lcuk with your doe, bye.

9. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

TexasArtist,
    That is almost correct. She had twins then 20 hours later I pulled another one.triplets. Again I was able to save both. We names the one I pulled HOPE. We just hoped she would make it thru the night. During the summer she would come in the house whenever she wanted too. She learned to come in with the dogs in the doggie door. After all she was raised with the dogs.

10. ejsmomma

ejsmomma Active Member

what is the bounce test? sorry if this is concidered a thread drift but i was just wondering b/c my son's two pygmy goats are suppose to be preg and i was just currious

11. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/bouncing.html

Here is Fiasco Farms instructions for bouncing.

I call it bumping because that is what I do with cattle to tell if they are bred (if they haven't been palpated). I actually was able to bump the majority of our does due the last 12 days of January.