Odd Behavior in possible sick goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, May 1, 2006.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I have a doe that is acting funny. She is very quiet and just standing around....a half hour ago she was on the ground twice and stretched her legs out. She is stretching her hind quarters alot...like an actual stretch. She isn't star gazing or or blind or doing anything else weird except not eating. She has had the thamine deficency at least twice before...she is a terrible eater and escapes occasionally and over doses on fresh grasses.

I gave her some b and I am waiting to see if that helps. She did perk up a little so it might be that again, but what is baffling me is that she keeps strecthing her hind quarters. She doesn't show any signs of bloat. Any other suggestions on what to look for?

2. Croenan

Also, could she be constipated? Oh...and she isn't acting like she is in pain at all, like grinding her teeth.

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

How is her breathing?

4. Croenan

It's fine...she just sorta mellow. She has perked up a bit since I gave her the B. It might be just a mild case of polio this time.

5. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Are you sure she isn't bloated? Mine did the laying on the ground stretching thing when she bloated. Gave her vegetable oil and made her walk around, messaged her belly and she was fine. Just a thought.

Tracy,
    Southwestern, NY